Brining pork questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, I have never tried this, but have noticed some chat about this. What are the pros/cons? I am assuming the pork is juicier, yes? What brine do you folks use? Similar to chicken brining? 1/4 cup coarse salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar to a liter or so of water and whatever herbs strike your fancy? And how long? Hopefully not overnight as my chops are for dinner tonight.

Anyone around to give me a heads up?

Modern pork chops are as lean as chicken. As a result, they can easily end up dry.

Use the same brine as you would for chicken with changes in the flavorings according to your fancy. Pork chops can be brined in a couple of hours, so now is a good time to do it for dinner.

What are you waiting for, get going now, right into the kitchen.:mrgreen:

Yeah it will make your chops much juicier and more flavorful. It also gives you some leeway so if you do accidentally overcook the chops they will not be dry and gross. You can use the brine you described or you can get fancy. Any herbs you want to throw in would be great. I would not brine them for more than 2 hours though.

Here is a brine from Alton brown that I have used for pork chops before and it worked very well.

1 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon mustard powder
2 cups cider vinegar, heated
1 pound ice cubes

In a plastic container put the salt, sugar, peppercorns, and mustard powder. Add the hot vinegar and swirl to dissolve. Let mixture sit for 5 to 10 minutes to develop flavor. Add ice cubes and shake to melt most of the ice. Add chops and cover with brine. Refrigerate for 2 hours.

Alix said:
Why not more than two hours though?
It will soak up too much liquid and the texture will suffer. You could probably do three hours without ruining it, but I think two is ideal. Try 2 tonight and then 3 next time and you will see what happens. Who know, you might like 3 hours better.

For a roast or something larger you would want to give it more time, but for something as small as a chop a few hours will do :)

OK, two hours and some sage and thyme it is. Thanks guys. I am off to make lunch now.

Mmmm, pork.....
I was wondering what was for dinner tonight Hon! Can hardly wait!

Alix said:
What are YOU doing here????? Cool beans sweetie!
I was going to ask you the same thing. How do expect to get supper done in time when you're sitting here?:-p

Sweetie? How do you know I'm not some kind of psycho posing as sweetie?

Yes sir! Sorry sir!

Now I have to make sure these are the best pork chops ever! No more surprises for dinner.

I am so not sure what to say about this...does it mean that he is wearing something unclean? or that he isn't... HEY!!! I think this thread needs to get back on topic!

So...the pork chops are brining. I put them in my usual brine for chicken, and I will sprinkle them with Montreal Steak spice when I fry them.

So since they will be so juicy and tender, should I bother making gravy for them?

Alix said:
I am so not sure what to say about this...does it mean that he is wearing something unclean? or that he isn't... HEY!!! I think this thread needs to get back on topic!

So...the pork chops are brining. I put them in my usual brine for chicken, and I will sprinkle them with Montreal Steak spice when I fry them.

So since they will be so juicy and tender, should I bother making gravy for them?
Yes.:)

Back
Top Bottom