Quick Question: Should Chicken Smell Like This?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anau

Senior Cook
Referring to raw chicken legs, should it smell kinda funky? I know that raw pork smells but should chicken? I just bought this chicken Monday and froze it immediately. Thanks.

I don't know what "funky" means to you, but I would toss them to be sure.

Have you done a lot of cooking or is food prep pretty new to you? Some people don't like the smell of raw food and might call it funky.

Did it feel slimy or sticky to the touch?

Well, it felt slimy like you would expect raw meat to. It looks perfectly fine, the flesh is pink and not cloudy.

It actually had a little of this smell when I first bought it. The 'sell by' date wasn't for a few days and they all had it so I thought it was fine. Can chicken go bad as quickly as the trip home? I stuck it in the freezer as soon as I got home.

It would be frustrating if it is bad because I threw out some chicken before for the same reason. Maybe it is just me because my roommate said he couldn't smell anything. Would it help if I told you it kind of smells like rubber? Thanks.

It could be "just you". I know sometimes I get a foul smell in my nose that I just can't get rid of. However...when in doubt..throw it out! You wouldn't be able to eat it anyway...wondering the way you are!:( Also...it may not have gone bad "on the trip home"....it may have been bad when they sold it to you!

Try rinsing the chicken under cold water first. Then ask someone else to smell it. It could just be that you are a more sensitive nose than others.

pdswife said:
If it smells toss it. Better safe than sorry.

Welcome to the group!!

Thank you :-p

Alright, I'm going to go out and buy another package, and if they all smell, then I'm going to ask the grocery people about it.

yup, ... rinse it, pat it dry, cook it, it should be fine. If it smells bad while cooking or tastes funny (acrid, or rancid) after being cooked, toss it.

You froze it immediately and only just opened it. No contamination since leaving hte processor. Cooking kills the bacteria. People get sick from most food spoilage from undercooked or uncooked food.

Much of the world eats meat that we Americans would consider "unsafe". They stew it and flavor it with herbs and spices and all the nasty noogies are cooked off. really.

I find that raw chicken does have a smell to it. It is not a smell I like. From cooking for a while though I have learned which smells are good and which are bad.

You are doing the right thing by getting another package and then asking the store if it still does not smell right. Always play it safe with chicken and be on the safe side.

:) Some grocers are dishonest and will repackage and redate meats. Maybe their fridge bin temps are not low enough.I dont know.You really need to get some one who knows to smell for you.But if it smells off even when you rinse take it back to store and get your money back. Bottom line it should not smell weird same thing with seafood if it smells fishy its old.

OK, well I went and got some more. I'm cooking it TODAY and it doesn't smell so I'm very sure about its freshness. I did try washing off the other ones and it still smells.

But I agree with you, Robo, that what might be bad by popular Western standards are really OK to eat. You don't know how many times I go off on my grandparents about that stuff but they're always fine. :rolleyes: I'm getting all this chicken from HEB so I assume it good chicken.

Thanks. :chef:

When you thaw chicken, or any uncooked meat, seafood, or poultry do it in the refrigerator and place the package in a container to catch any moisture that drips off the package and thereby reduce the chance of cross-contamination.

Keep your receipt. A reputable grocery store should refund your money if you call and return suspect poultry in a timely manner.

Not the full story

yup, ... rinse it, pat it dry, cook it, it should be fine. If it smells bad while cooking or tastes funny (acrid, or rancid) after being cooked, toss it.

You froze it immediately and only just opened it. No contamination since leaving hte processor. Cooking kills the bacteria. People get sick from most food spoilage from undercooked or uncooked food.

Much of the world eats meat that we Americans would consider "unsafe". They stew it and flavor it with herbs and spices and all the nasty noogies are cooked off. really.

I registered just to respond to you (using a nick I figured you'd like since you won't likely agreed with me)

You're not getting the full story. Harmful bacteria aren't only agents of infection but also literally of poisoning. As they multiply in meat they release toxins which aren't fully broken down using many common North American methods. In the countries you refer to, they aren't just cooking till the bacteria are dead but also till any toxins are broken down.

Translation: they cook the holy hell out of the meat. Most westerners would rarely cook that intensely. So if you want to eat like the third world, cook like them. Spice like them. Build an immune system like theirs and even still face the plethora of risks

Thanks for stopping by. You had to go back 6 years to find what you saw as an error - not bad.

Thanks for stopping by. You had to go back 6 years to find what you saw as an error - not bad.

Maybe they just happened to Google "Quick question: Should chicken smell like this?" and this thread came up.

:ROFLMAO:

I registered just to respond to you (using a nick I figured you'd like since you won't likely agreed with me)

You're not getting the full story. Harmful bacteria aren't only agents of infection but also literally of poisoning. As they multiply in meat they release toxins which aren't fully broken down using many common North American methods. In the countries you refer to, they aren't just cooking till the bacteria are dead but also till any toxins are broken down.

Translation: they cook the holy hell out of the meat. Most westerners would rarely cook that intensely. So if you want to eat like the third world, cook like them. Spice like them. Build an immune system like theirs and even still face the plethora of risks

I love this answer.

Note, we have worked really hard at not having immune systems like theirs :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom