Help with a recipe - Tomato Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beaulana2

Cook
went to friends house for breakfast, she is from the south, she made Tomato gravy, can anyone give me a recipe please. She is the type of person that does not share recipes:glare:

I don't understand the need to keep recipes secret... I don't have a recipe for you but, hold on and someone will show up that does. Have a great day!

As far as I know, tomatoe gravy is nothing more than a tomatoe based pasta sauce, like marinara. Some people use the term "gravy" rather than sauce.

My mom makes tomato gravy and this is how she does it. Fry a couple of slices of bacon and drain all but a couple of tbsp of fat. Add fresh or canned tomatoes and mash them with a fork. Cook until thickened slightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

We use them on biscuits that have been split in half (like an open face sandwich. If you like, you can spoon the crumbled bacon over.

This was a thick gravy, tomato's diced up a little spicy, it was served with biscuits, It looked like milk gravy but red with tomatoes was thickened with flour. Maybe I can get it out of her, I know a few people who don't like to share recipes, but great revenge when they love your recipe and you won't give it up. In my world fair is fair.

Here you go...I found this on Recipe Source. It sounds very good!

Old-Fashioned Tomato Gravy

Serving Size : 6

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 Pound Bacon -- Diced
1 Small Onion -- Chopped
2 Tablespoons Flour
1/8 Teaspoon Salt
Pinch Pepper
1 Can Diced Tomatoes, Undrained -- 14 1/2Oz
3 Cups Tomato Juice
6 Hot Biscuits, Split

In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; discard
all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Cook onion in drippings until tender. Stir in
flour, salt and pepper; cook and stir over low heat until mixture is golden
brown. Gradually add tomatoes and tomato juice; stir well. Bring to a boil
over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered,
for 15-20 minutes or until thickened; stirring occasionally. Stir in bacon.
Serve over biscuits. 6-8 servings.

Back
Top Bottom