Seeding tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paolita

Assistant Cook
I have read quite a few recipes that demand seeding tomatoes. I don't usually so it, except if i will be stuffing the tomatoes. Can anyone explain to me what are the benefits of seeding tomatoes? I usually peel them and slice them and then in my sauce or soup they go, with seeds and everything.

Paolita

The only benefit I can think of is aesthetic. Some people don't like to see the seeds in their dishes.

I have a friend who has diverticulitis, and she can have no seeds in her food. I don't think that's generally the reason, though.

I think it is also because the seeds of fresh tomatoes (as opposed to tinned ones) can result in a bitter 'note' in the finished dish. I tend to always de-seed tomatoes when using fresh produce.

I too, almost never bother to seed my tomatoes, (I even utilise the scooped out seeds on my stuffed tomatoes, I just mix it with other stuffing ingredients!!) but there are certain recipes that the remaining seed would make the result of the dish more soggy than it is desired, or when it is mixed colour will be different than it is supposed to be. Like I do make exceptions when I make guacamole and omit the seeds in order to preserve that lovely green colour of avocado. Otherwise, I would say the decision depends on the personal preference.

Depending on the recipe, deseeding also reduces the amount of liquid you are adding (all that gel-like stuff surrounding the seeds).

So according to you guys, it is not essential to deseed tomatoes?

Paolita said:
So according to you guys, it is not essential to deseed tomatoes?

For the most part, no, it is not essential to deseed. There are some instances where there might be a benefit.

The only time I de-seed is if I'm making a salad.
I really dislike liquidy salads.

Back
Top Bottom