Finally had a Chicago deep dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBQ Fish

Senior Cook
And it was the best pizza i have ever had!

Went to Il. with my brother to visit our friend friday, and saturday morning he wanted to show us Chicago. So we hopped on the local train, then while in town, walked around for 5 hours and stopped at Giordanos on Jackson blvd. to grab some pizza. We had ordered a large Spinach with beef, garlic, and jalapenos.....yes, we are strange!:wacko: :mrgreen:
By far, this was the best pizza i've had in 32 of the 50 states i've been in, and can't wait to go back with the family and get more! Oh, and btw....they also have tasty bloody mary's as well!

Where is and who has your favorite pizza?

Around here favorite place is Charleston Chops in Cornelius, North Carolina - it's a lobster/brie/roasted red pepper pizza - heaven!

BBQ Fish said:
We had ordered a large Spinach with beef, garlic, and jalapenos.....yes, we are strange!:wacko: :mrgreen:

Where is and who has your favorite pizza?

Your pizza sounds good to me. My favorite pizza place is Zano's in Truckee, CA. Here are my three of my favorite pizzas from Zano's:

• Pesto Sauce, Artichoke Hearts, Sundried Tomatoes, Mushrooms & Italian Sausage
  • Olive Oil, Basil, Garlic, Fresh Roma’s, Pinenuts & Fresh Mozzarella
  • Alfredo Sauce, Chicken, Spinach, Mushrooms

The VERY best pizza I've ever eaten is from a restaurant near San Lorenzo in Florence. I know pizza was invented by the Neapolitans, but nothing has ever beaten those pizzas! It's the first place I go back to when we visit Italy.:chef:

Alongi's Pizza in Duquoin, Il. The two Alongi brothers have been in business ever since I can remember. Their crust is thin, but not too thin...I think it's a Sicilian style pizza.
Our local Dominoes makes a good pizza too, but we argue over which crust we want. The boy wants thick, my husband wants thin, and I like the regular.
I don't care for deep pan pizza, but maybe I haven't had a really good one. To me, they taste awfully greasy.

While you're in the Chicago area, you should go to Mr. Benny's in Tinley Park for a steak. They are the best I've ever had, anywhere. They had some mighty right grilled portobellos, also. I've tried to duplicate them, but have never gotten it right.

Last edited:
When I first seen Chicago Deep Dish my first thought was ick. We have a chain here thats "Chicago Deep Dish" and it is rather quite awful. Mind you we are quite away from Chicago itself. My favorite pizza here is Pizza Hut....Dinos Family Restaurant has some good ones too....I remember trying a BBQ Chicken with almonds once and was that ever heaven!! mmmm I want some Pizza!!

If you are ever in Chicago and up for the real "Chicago style" I suggest Gino's East or Unos, they are very rich and satisfies your belly like no other, but I have a bit of trouble calling them "pizzas"... now I am accustomed and got attached to the very thin roman style!!:rolleyes:

My favorite by far I've had.........and it spoiled me........was at a resturant called "East Side Pizza". They had one of these up by Cedar Point, Ohio on our last vacation. I'm not one to eat the edge of the pizza (crust) but this crust was so good I couldn't resist. The sauce and toppings were awesome also. If I ever see one again on our vacations we'll def. be eating there. Oh yea........their hot wings were killer too.

WOW....Looks like i have to try a few others, and make my own.:chef:

You know, i had never thought of making my own Chicago style pizza!:bangin: I have been making pizza's for years, and feel pretty funny to admit i haven't tried baking a deep dish pizza.:whistling

Give me about a week, and i will try it your way nytxn.:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom