Balsamic + Worcestershire + Red Wine, Need your Advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mylegsbig

Head Chef
Hey guys - im cooking steak tonight and want to try this sauce, or marinade....

First of all what are the proportions if i want to mix these three?

I'm cooking 2 six ounce steaks.

Can i do like

1/3 cup worcester
1/3 cup balsamic
1/3 cup dry red wine

Or do they need to be in different proportions?

Also, im going to sear the steaks on the stove and then throw them in oven @ 425 to finish them, should i just reduce this over the burner instead of marinating the steaks in it? They are good cuts of meat.

How long do i reduce it? until it becomes syrupy?

thanks......

well speaking as one who has used all three, worcester is something you add by the tablespoon or the shake not so much by the cup measure...so I would go easier there. THe red wine is fine by the cupfull, and the balsamic, depending on the quality, need not be more than a 1/4 cup.

Balsamic will reduce to a syryp quickly at the last minute. (a real good use for a silverstone pan!)

marinate is fine, dry the meat before searing or you will only "boil it" in the marinade

but if you have time to reduce, it would make a fine reduction, basted on after searing before going in the oven.

just my thought

Last edited:
Mix your worsty (I reckon about 1/4 cup) and red wine then add the balsamic, tasting as you go until you've added enough. Don't forget S&P.

BTW balsamic reduces to a very sweet syrupy sauce brilliant with butter and fresh sage leaves fried in the butter. Goes well with pasta.

Back
Top Bottom