Poll: Your favorite Crock Pot Meal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is your favorite Crock Pot/Slow Cooker meal?

• Glazed Pork with onions and apples

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chicken Cacciatore

• Mexican style chicken (to be used with tortillas)

• Dessert! (Just add Vanilla Ice Cream and serve!)

• Total voters

jkath

Hospitality Queen
What's your favorite Crock Pot/Slow Cooker meal? :chef:

(extra bonus points if you post a recipe!!!!!)

Probably the easiest recipe in the world is this one:

In a slow cooker on low, cook a beef roast along with 2 pkg of dry onion soup mix, 3 Tbsp mustard and 3 cans of double strength beef broth (I like the Campbell's flavor the best).

Cook for 8 hours, and then fork-pull the meat till shredded. Place on split french rolls, add a slice of munster or harvti cheese, a small slathering of horseradish sauce and use the juice for dipping.

Last edited:
Chili would be my choice.

Rum Chili Recipe

I cook the oil, onions, garlic & beef in a skillet on the stove & then transfer everything to my crockpot & add remaining ingredients...

This freezes GREAT! And tastes better re-heated! In my humble opinion! And for those who like crackers in it, or with it... Try spreading butter on the cracker first! Amazing taste results!!!

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. Salad oil
2 med. Onions, chopped
2 minced garlic cloves
3 lbs. Coarsely ground beef chuck
2 Tbsp. Chili powder
½ tsp. Dried oregano
1 tsp. Salt
½ cup Barardi Dark Rum
1 can tomato paste (6 oz.)
1 can tomatoes ( 1lb. 12 oz)
3 cans kidney beans, drained (16. Oz. each) (Optional)

Directions:
Heat oil in 8 qt. Pot, lightly saute onions and garlic in oil. Add meat, breaking up & stirring w/ wooden spoon until color changes.

Add remaining ingredients. Stir. Cover. Simmer 2 hours. AFTER 2 hours, check seasoning & rum for taste. Adjust according to taste preference.

I use mine for chili and baked beans, but the following is a favorite and couldn't be easier.

Boneless Pork Chops--This is a "no amount" recipe.

Boneless pork chops, as many as you want or will fit in your crock pot

Cream of mushroom, cream of celery or cream of chicken soup, about 1 can per 4 to 6 chops. You want to add less than you think you will need or the gravy will be too thin

Slivered onion, as much as you want

Sliced mushrooms, canned (drained) or fresh

Salt and pepper to taste

Brown chops if you want (my Mom does, I don't). Layer in pot with remaining ingredients. Soup should not cover the chops. Cook on low 8-10 hours. If a thicker gravy is desired turn pot on high and remove lid while preparing side dishes. I prefer it served with noodles, but rice and mashed or baked potatoes are also good. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts may be used instead of the pork.

mines simple roast that I grew up eating and is one of my comfort foods:

Roast with Carrots & Potatoes

Place the roast in the crockpot......cover with water. Add 1 large yellow onion cut up into quarters and seperate the pieces. Add 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Cook on High for 5 hours then add 5 potatoes that have been peeled and cut in half also add 10 peeled carrots cut into 3 inch pieces. Cook another hour or until veggies and meat are tender. You'll need to adjust the seasoning by adding more S & P to your taste.
If you want you can thicken the broth by taking a heaping putting a heaping Tbsp of flour in a cup and add about a 1/4 cup of water......you want the consistency to be a little thicker than milk......be sure all the lumps are worked out.......slowly stream the flour mixture into the broth stirring as you do so. You can then add some KITCHEN BOUQUET Browning & Seasoning Sauce to get that nice brown color. If you do this I'd wait to season the 2nd time till after doing this.

A comfort food that I grew up on:

Roast with Carrots & Potatoes

NOTE: Do not lift the lid until each time limit is over or else you'll be letting the heat escape and the cooking time will be extended. I believe its 20 minutes longer each time you lift the lid.

Place the roast in the crockpot and cover with water.....add 1 large yellow onion that has been quartered and the pieces seperated....1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Cook on HIGH for 5 hours then add 5 peeled potatoes that have been cut in half along with 10 peeled carrots cut into 3 inch pieces. Cook another hour or until the meat and veggies are tender. You'll need to adjust the seasoning now by adding more S & P to your taste......unless you do the following then add more seasoning afterwards.
You can thicken the broth by putting a heaping Tbsp flour into a cup and adding enough water to the flour to get the consistency a little thicker than milk.....be sure to mix it well with a fork till you get all the lumps broke up. Slowly stream this flour mixture into the broth stirring as you do so.
To get that nice brown color you can add some KITCHEN BOUQUET Browning & Seasoning Sauce. If you add this you'll want to adjust your seasoning after doing this.

Hey, how do you make mac-n-cheese in a crockpot???? I've never heard of this! Would love if someone posted a recipe. Hopefully my crockpot can do it. It's a cheap one that only has an on/off setting.

Oh, as for the favorite meal, I only do chili and beans (for refried beans). Not very creative. The few times I tried meat it didn't turn out very good. Pork spareribs were too greasy and chicken was tender but water it was cooked in was kind of yucky. Not sure if I didnt do it correctly.:huh:

Ribs in the slow cooker come out fall-off-the-bone juicy good. I toss in onions and greens peppers & serve over rice, or vermicelli & add egg rolls to round out the meal. (Posted a recipe somewhere for Asian ribs that looks mighty good.)

Eggplant is on my list to try - adding in tomato sauce, herbs, onions, & mozzarella in the end cooking stage to serve over pasta.

Precooked frozen meatballs (yes, precooked), is a quick way to go. I add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, garlic, herbs & broken up spaghetti (or very small shells or macaroni) at the end of cooking time. Be sure to submerge pasta in enough sauce to cook thru. A defatting cup is helpful to separate/rid the grease.

Slow cooking a turkey breast is another simple way to free up the oven & prepare sides - partiicularly around Thanksgiving. Stuffing can also be made in a slow cooker. Have a recipe for a rice and veggie dish that's on my "try me" list.

Roasts are the easiest & very tasty prepared in a slow cooker. Cut some slits in the roast & insert garlic cloves, add a dry rub to the roast, if desired, add fresh herbs (rosemary etc.), potatoes, onions, carrots, dry onion mushroom soup mix, cream of mushroom soup & a little water or tomatoes. Try adding a teaspoon of coffee grinds or half a cup of brewed coffee to the sauce.

Pork chops. apple pie filling & cinnamon is another thought. Serve over buttery herbed broad noodles. Chicken Cordon Bleu & meatloaf turned out well. Moo Shu is another idea.

If you haven't tried a slow cooker, go for it. It's another method of cooking to experiment with. With a little creativity, you might be surprised with the results.

Mish, what kind of ribs do you use? I have tried once with pork spare ribs. They were so tender, but I found that because it was cooked in a pot, so no drip, there was a lot of the oil built up in the pot which the meat simmered in. I like the taste, but it ends up giving me heart burn. Tasted a little too greasy for me.

Any suggestions? Or is it maybe because I have a cheap & small crockpot? (1.5 q and only has on/off button)

htc said:
Mish, what kind of ribs do you use? I have tried once with pork spare ribs. They were so tender, but I found that because it was cooked in a pot, so no drip, there was a lot of the oil built up in the pot which the meat simmered in. I like the taste, but it ends up giving me heart burn. Tasted a little too greasy for me. Any suggestions? Or is it maybe because I have a cheap & small crockpot? (1.5 q and only has on/off button)

Use any ribs of choice. Guessing the heartburn might be from the sauce ingredients. Re the fat - get a defatting cup (as I mentioned), let everything cool down and ladle the sauce in the defatting cup. You can save some sauce/freeze & use later. I'd follow manufacturer's instructions re size of pot and cooking time. Also re the fat - some recipes call for browning/searing the meat first. Fat will increase cooking temps in the cooker. Remove as much fat as possible.

Slow cooking is new to me (even though it's an old/retro idea coming back), but guessing the older cookers have differently placed (?) heating elements, & vary in cooking times, etc.

Another "try me" idea is "baking" apples with some raisins and cinnamon.

Was a little reluctant to post ideas re a slow cooker, as there are so many terrific chefs here, but I think it's a great cooking utensil to get creative with.

htc said:
Hey, how do you make mac-n-cheese in a crockpot???? I've never heard of this! Would love if someone posted a recipe. Hopefully my crockpot can do it. It's a cheap one that only has an on/off setting.

Here's the one that Crewsk posted a while ago
(and you know if SHE posted it, it's REALLY good!!!)

Crock Pot Mac & Cheese

1(8oz)box macaroni
1 stick butter or margarine
2 1/2C sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1 1/2C. milk
1 large can evaporated milk
salt &pepper to taste
2 eggs, beaten

Cook & drain macaroni. Put in crock pot; add butter & 2 cups cheese, stir. Combine milk, beaten eggs, evaporated milk, salt & pepper. Pour into crock pot & stir. Top with 1/2 cup cheese & cover. Cook 3 hours on low setting.

Here's another one she posted - YUMMMMMM!!!!!

Slow Cooker Hot Fudge Sundae Cake
Makes: 6 servings
Total Time: 3hrs. 25min.
Prep: 15min.
Cook: 2hrs. 30min.
Cool: 40min.
(Total time will vary with appliance & setting)

1C. all purpose flour
1/2C. granulated sugar
2Tbsp. baking cocoa
2tsp. baking powder
1/2tsp. salt
1/2C. milk
2Tbsp. vegetable oil
1tsp. vanilla
1/2C. chopped nuts(optional)
3/4C. packed brown sugar
1/4C. baking cocoa
1 1/2C. hot water

Spray inside of 2 to 3 1/2 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Mix flour, granulated sugar, 2Tbsp. cocoa, baking powder, & salt in a medium bowl. Stir in milk, oil, & vanilla until smooth. Stir in nuts. Spread batter evenly in slow cooker.

Mix brown sugar 1/4C. cocoa in small bowl. Stir in hot water until smooth. Pour evenly over batter in slow cooker.

Cover cook on high heat setting 2 hours to 2 1/2 hours or unti toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Turn off slow cooker. Let cake stand uncovered 30-40 minutes to cool slightly before serving. Spoon warm cake into dessert dishes. Spoon sauce over top. Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired.

Here's an idea....I saw some turkey today and thought about grabbing some to try this but thought I'd better see what you guys thought and recommended in the way of adjustments...not completely sure how to go about it:

Turkey Breasts with bone & skin
Jar of Turkey Gravy
Celery
Onion
Poultry Seasoning
S & P
Box of Herb Stuffing

I'd probably put in the gravy.....then a layer of celery and onions.... then season up the turkey breasts with the poultry seasoning and s & p and place on top......then top it off with the herb stuffing.
I don't know if it would need more liquid though.......chicken broth or apple juice? I'm also not sure should I prepare the stuffing as directed on the box prior to adding it?

Well, none of the above???:mrgreen:

I only use my crock pot for simple wild game dishes.
One of which is Pheasant concoction with about 1 boneless pheasant, cup of sour cream, can of cream of mushroom soup (or 2 cups of home made...which i do), 1/4 cup onion, about 10 crimini mushrooms, few shakes of worcestershire, salt, pepper, and BAM. then i let it stew for 8 hours.:chef:

Sounds simple, and actually somewhat bland......but for some reason i love it?

You love it because it's your comfort food! What exactly are crimini mushrooms?

PS - sizz - I make turkeys in my slow cooker, as it's a giant 18qt roaster. I can cook an entire turkey in there and I don't have to turn on the oven. Turkey in a roaster or slow cooker is so amazingly moist!!!
As for the liquid, I'd use only broth, and as for the stuffing, I'd make it on the stove and add it with the meal, rather than in the crock pot, or it will be really mushy, I think. Of course I could be completely wrong...and if I am, please tell me, someone!

jkath said:
You love it because it's your comfort food! What exactly are crimini mushrooms?

Yeah just like luvs_food said, baby portabellas but they don't have the same taste or texture (i think). More of a shroomy taste and a crisp firmness.:chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom