Question about Country Ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TreeToad

Assistant Cook
It was about a year ago that I purchased a Country Ham
and put it in my basement where it stays 70 degrees even
on the hottest days.
Well, I started getting a lot of work and did'nt have the
time to cook it.
Now that I have the time, do you think that the ham will
still be good or should I toss it ?

Thanks

Coffee in England allways tastes like a chemistry experiment.
3.gif

Hopefully someone will come along that really knows. I could make educated guesses but I sure don't want that on my shoulders! lol

However, it appears the ham should be ok. Jsut remove any mold. Do you remember where you got it from? I would contact them. Does the ham have a phone number on it at all? That's what I would do first!

Edited to add this:

[font=arial, helvetica]Where is the Best Place to Store a Cured Country Ham?[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It is best to hang a country ham in a cool dry place until ready for use. Do not lay the ham down flat on a shelf or table because it will absorb moisture from other substances just like a sponge. Hang in a cool, dry place so it will not touch the wall or other hams. Ham will keep in good condition as long as desired, without refrigeration.[/font][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]Should Country Cured Hams that Show Signs of Mold Be Discarded?[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]No. Absolutely not! Country and Virginia hams may be covered with mold, a normal characteristic. It is the some type of harmless mold found on aged cheeses. It is formed during the curing process by a reaction of the moisture from the ham with heat and humidity in the air. DO NOT DISCARD your ham. Simply wash it in hot water and scrub off the mold with a stiff vegetable brush.

Check out this site
[/font]
[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.vapeanuts.com/virginia-ham-faq.html[/font]

Last edited:
I agree with Kitchenelf.

I have had aged country hams, but they have always been hung.

Before eating, I have soaked them in water for several days, changing the water periodically.

Then one has to take off the mold.

A country ham is not a joy to prepare, but it becomes one when eaten.

In my experience they are very hardy.

But you have to be the final judge.

Our criterion is if we would not feel comfortable eating the food, we toss it.

Do not know if this helps at all, but I hope it does.

It should be good..just scub off the mold and soak in fresh water if you want to remove some of the salt and to rehidrate the ham..

The tot...

Thank you everyone for such good info.
So it looks like my ham is still good but proably even
better since it got to age for an extra year.
It will be soaking in a water bath for about four days.
And then simmered in a pot for about 14 hours and then
a final cook in the oven.
I will keep you posted about the results and maybe
even a few pictures.

Thanks Again

Back
Top Bottom