Tip on Lettuce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I discovered something and thought I'd pass it on. I bought a vaccum sealer to keep my foods fresher. Well it didn't work with the lettuce...........sucked it up into something out of this world. Well last week I had a lot of lettuce left over and decided to try something. I cleaned it.....shook it out and then placed it in a zip lock bag and threw a paper towel (Bounty) into the bag. That lettuce stayed good for a week......till I used it all.

lettuce

another tip on lettuce...when you place it into a plastic baggie and put in a paper towel make sure the towel is damp with very cold water and it will stay good over a week.

Lettuce won't work being vacuum packed in a bag, but try it in a canister. We did a test and have half a head in a regular bag and the other half in a foodsaver canister. The vacuum packed lettuce was still as good as the day we bought it over a month later. It was amazing. it probably would have stayed good even past that, but we ate it :)

Vacuum sealer is one of our next kitchen item to buy... we brought back some wonderful cheese from Sardinia this June, it was vacuum packed, we opened it just the other day and it was perfectly preserved we were very impressed!! We see a huge potential if we could get our hands on this gadget... but we never would have thought of using it on lettuce though!!

I use a canister like GB to vacuum lettuce - that stuff lasts for a long time! I was at the one-month mark with some and used it the other day.

We seldom throw any food away...when we're done with it, it goes to the dogs. But rotten lettuce is the one thing my pitbull won't eat...LOL!

Back
Top Bottom