HOME ALONE!! What is your plan for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urmaniac13

Executive Chef
Your significant other has to work late, kids are at a slumber party etc etc, you have no one but yourself to cook for this evening... well honestly it is not the most inspiring circumstance for any culinary adventure... what are you the most likely to do when this kind of thing occurs? Maybe we can inspire each other a little by exchanging some quick, easy, lazy but yummy ideas...

I, for one, opt for some muesli, yogurt and whatever the fresh fruit we have at the moment all mixed together
or
stick into the oven one of those semi-prepared baguette ( the kind that are ready in 8-10 minutes in the oven one of our regular stock, soooo convenient), eat it with whatever the cheese we have at the moment, or slice it in half, brush some olive oil on it then sprinke parmigiano, put it back in the oven and broil it until golden brown...

All of the option above requires minimum amount of labour, time and produces just one or two things to wash afterwards...

I'll usually eat something that no one else really likes. The other option is always popcorn. Mmmmmmmmm...popcorn!

That's going to depend on what I have on hand. Right now, I have some extra cooked spaghetti in the fridge, pesto frozen, all I really need for a quickie pesto paste saute is a protein of some kind, like a small chicken breast, some shrimp maybe, etc.

Usually, when I was single and living alone, I always had dinner figured out. In the colder months, soups and stews were my main thing, and I would make a gallon or so, and eat off that until it was gone. During the summer, I usually made sandwiches, quesadillas, fajitas, stir-fry, etc. Stuff that wouldn't take long to prep or cook, and wouldn't heat up the whole house.

Mac and cheese from the box! Paul won't eat them ( unless forced...) I love them.
I don't eat breakfast so.. cold cereal at night it great.
Left overs.
If Paulie's gone over night.. I make a batch of fried potatoes with onions and lots of garlic, smothered in ketchup.

I have three categories to choose from in this situation:

1. Eat something SO doesn't like, such as duck or lamb.
2. Take a soup or chili, etc. out of the freezer and chow down.
3. Take out. Maybe some KFC or a steak bomb and spicy fries.

One of my favorite things is a simple pasta salad. I use the spiral tri-colored noodles, cook, drain, & rinse them with cold water then mix with equal parts ranch & Italian salad dressing. If I have any leftover roasted chicken, I throw that in too. It's one of those things that can be added to easily. Savannah likes black olives in it. It's very rare that I'm home by myself for supper. I honestly couldn't tell you the last time that I was.

AllenMI said:
That's going to depend on what I have on hand. Right now, I have some extra cooked spaghetti in the fridge, pesto frozen, all I really need for a quickie pesto paste saute is a protein of some kind, like a small chicken breast, some shrimp maybe, etc.

Yeah! Right on Allen Pesto is another great option... we make an enormous batch during the summer and freeze it in ice cube trays to make it easier to defrost by portions. All you have to do is cook the pasta and defrost the pesto, brilliant... and so very tasty!!
And compliments for your concern for proper nutritional intake... something we tend to forget about it in this situation... thanks for the reminder!!

beer and ice cream.

If I'm feeling ambitious - a fried egg or two over a piece of toast or two.

It's no fun to cook and eat for one.

DH has gone to Louisiana to help with some of the problems there. I made dinner before he left, but the rest of the week I will just eat "whatever" is in the fridge. We have a few leftovers, but I should have a clean fridge by the time he gets back. - probably a few eggs is mostly what I will eat. I want to get several little jobs done while he is gone and don't want to do much cooking.

I usually do easy, sometimes I'll do a filet in a cast iron skillet and have that with sliced french bread buttered and let warm on top of the cooking meat. In summer I pick tomatoes and slice, add sliced avocado, red onion, and put on top of a evoo'd french roll and make a sandwich with a splash of red wine or balsamic vinegar and some salt and pepper. Many times sliced baguette with cheese, topped with salami and onion powder, under the broiler til cheese is bubbly and runny...Many times just some tea and toast..Sometimes a flour tortilla with pepper jack cheese, nuked to melt the cheese rolled up and eaten as I fool around here on DC:LOL:

kadesma:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom