Ribolitta soup (Italian)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Ribollita
with Savoy Cabbage and Cannellini Beans
A hearty Italian soup that is low in fat but full of flavour, especially if you make it a day ahead. Takes about thirty minutes to prepare and cook
3 cloves garlic crushed
1 onion, finely chopped
4 small carrots finely sliced
2 x 410g cans cannellini Beans, rinsed and drained
500ml vegetable Stock

100 ml water
200g Savoy cabbage, quartered, cored and shredded
200g Smoked Dry Cure back bacon*
25g fresh basil, torn
½ tbsp olive oil

Preheat the grill (I think this is an American ‘broiler’?) to high. In a large, lidded pan, gently heat the oil and add the garlic, onion, and carrots. Cover and cook for 5 minutes until starting to soften, stirring occasionally.
Remove the lid and add the beans, stock and 100ml boiling water and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Add the cabbage and cook for a further 5 minutes until the cabbage is tender.
Place the bacon under the grill on a rack and cook for 4-5 minutes, turning once, until crisp. Leave to cool slightly then tear into pieces and stir into the soup.
Spoon into individual bowls, scatter with the basil and serve with a good grind of black pepper and Grissini breadsticks or warmed ciabatta bread.

*I’ve made this soup for vegetarians by omitting the bacon and adding some grated Castelli (Italian hard cheese) just before serving.

Yum! I love Ribolitta!:chef:

Now I'll have to make it this weekend!

Ribolitta means "twice boiled" or "boiled again" and usually has bread added at the end of cooking. Soup is then brought back to a boil, cooking the bread into the soup, thickening it.

But you can lower the carb count by omitting the bread step.

I missed out the bread cos I no longer add it as a thickener to any of the soups I make, simply because of the carbohydrate!

Yeah, adding the bread may be the traditional way peasants made their available food stretch .... but it does add a lot of gratuitious carbs.

Personally, I like the way bread adds to the soup's taste and texture but it does make me (at least think about) get on the treadmill!

Ishbel, I made up my mind this summer I was going to learn to make some soup other than the french onion i've mastered and this is going into my file...I like everything in this one and know my whole family will enjoy it... Thanks Ishbel..

kadesma:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom