Sugar rush (food tv) what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lugaru

Sous Chef
I've never had a sweet tooth but I always felt that food network needed a baking or candy making show given how much art and effort can go into it.

Also Im getting an "on the road" or "secret life of" vibe where a charismatic host is more important than an experienced one, and this guy looks like a lot of fun and not afraid to ask questions...

What do you guy's think?

I haven't seen the new show yet, not sure when the premire is. I agree with needing more shows dedicated to baking and or sweets. :) Gale Gand had a great show, but I don't see it on anymore. I hope the network goes back to baking class type shows, I like these more than the ones where they go all over and interview people or show food eateries.

Lugaru said:
I've never had a sweet tooth but I always felt that food network needed a baking or candy making show given how much art and effort can go into it.

Also Im getting an "on the road" or "secret life of" vibe where a charismatic host is more important than an experienced one, and this guy looks like a lot of fun and not afraid to ask questions...

What do you guy's think?

I agree. Caught a show I really did enjoy re cakes. It was more of a competition show rather than a how-to show. My observation is that Food Network is all about food - entertainment value and perky personalities, rather than about cooking. Hope they will bring more shows re topics you have mentioned to the air waves. Meanwhile, there's always PBS.

p.s. When I watch about 1/2 an hour of guys competing in twirling pizzas, I just have to scratch my head or laugh.

I don't think it's about food or cooking, unfortunately.

It's about hosts and entertainment and travel and fluff. I have to wonder who watches half the shows they have on now.

Started going downhill when they cancelled "Taste."

And I miss Gale Gand, too. That was a great show.

Mish, I agree with the quality of cooking shows on PBS, my only problem is finding when they come on and also find that many of them come on when I am not at home to watch, many during the weekday and daytime.

htc said:
Mish, I agree with the quality of cooking shows on PBS, my only problem is finding when they come on and also find that many of them come on when I am not at home to watch, many during the weekday and daytime.

Here they are on Saturday during the day and Thursday nights.

Luckily we have 2 difft. stations, Boston and New Hampshire. On Sat. NH starts at 10am and goes to 1 or so and Boston starts at 11 and geos until 3. They usually show difft epis of the same show plus shows that are only on each station (eg, Ming is only on WGBH, I think, while Lidia is on both)

Actually, htc, I just checked for you and they are also on Saturday afternoon on Oregon Public Broadcasting. See here

Last edited:
The premier for Sugar Rush is tonight at 9:30 EST. There was a feature on the host last night (forget what series it was) and he's very interesting and has an amazing success story and is self/family trained. I'm not sure what his regular show will be like. Unfortunately I won't be around to watch it tonight be will be sure to catch it at some point.

I miss Gale Gand's Sweet Dreams, too. I learned a lot from that show. I think it's still on once a week (Thursday AM perhaps?) but I have a feeling it's all reruns.:(

The Sugar Rush guy is from my neck of the woods (D.C. area). He looks like a pleasant sort of chap.

I would watch it if Lost didn't come on at the same time.

Thanks Jenny. I actually watch those now. I heard that Ming Tsai and a couple others had shows on OPB, but those were the ones I never got to see. I went on the site and don't see Ming's show, so maybe it got cancelled.

I was gonna say "Sweet Dreams" is still on at least once a week. I used to watch it on Wednesday but the show date may have changed. She has great sweet recipes. I'll have to watch Sugar Rush tonight if my husband is willing to give up his show - "Invasion". Heehee

Back
Top Bottom