REC:Roasted Swede and Honey Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ROASTED SWEDE AND HONEY SOUP[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 swede, peeled and chopped into bite-sized pieces
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp honey
1 onion, finely chopped
1 celery stalk, finely chopped
1 litre stock
4 sprigs thyme
125ml cream
Pumpkinseed or flavoured oil, to drizzle
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] 1. Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6. Place the swede on a roasting tin and drizzle over half the oil and the honey. Place in the oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. Blitz in the food processor or pass through a mouli and set to one side. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. Heat the remaining oil in a medium-sized saucepan, add the onion and celery and cook for a few minutes until translucent but not coloured. Add the stock and thyme, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Liquidise or pass through a mouli, add to the swede, then add the cream, adjust the seasoning and serve in warmed bowls with a drizzle of flavoured oil. [/font]

Looks good, but, I've never heard of a "swede". I'm assuming it's NOT a Swedish person. Could you enlighten me?

AllenMI said:
Looks good, but, I've never heard of a "swede". I'm assuming it's NOT a Swedish person. Could you enlighten me?
LOL :ROFLMAO::LOL: You're right Allen it's not a Swedish person. A swede (when it comes to vegetables) is just another name (more commonly used in Europe) for rutabagas, I think the Scottish may also call them neeps (paging Ishbel :)). In a pinch you could easily sub it with turnips in this recipe, I bet that would taste really nice too.

Back
Top Bottom