Do You Like Flavored Butters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KAYLINDA

Head Chef
This is something I haven't seen in any threads unless I've missed it!
Good old Apple butter...or any other kind...
What do you like? Do you have a recipe?

You kind of threw me for a loop when you mentioned apple butter. :ohmy:

I thought you were referring to compound butters like garlic butter or chive butter, etc.:-p

I haven't had apple butter in a couple of decades. What other flavors do you like or make?

KAYLINDA said:
I haven't made any...but I've seen recipes for strawberry....lemon....etc...and just wondered if anyone has tried any!

Who knew!

These are all like fruit purees? No butter in the recipe?

Andy...I think these are compound butters as you mentioned. I wasn't really comparing any to apple butter...(sorry) it was just the first thing that came to my mind. Got some "compound" butter recipes for me?

KAYLINDA said:
Andy...I think these are compound butters as you mentioned. I wasn't really comparing any to apple butter...(sorry) it was just the first thing that came to my mind. Got some "compound" butter recipes for me?

The fruit butters that I think you're referring to are compound butters. You can use fruit concentrate, preserves, etc. to flavor the butter with. You would use the same method as making say, Maitre'D Hotel Butter. Just let the butter soften until room temp. then mix it together with your flavoring agent until you get the desired texture and flavor that you're looking for. Most places will give it a similar consistency to whipped butter.

I don't like the fruit butters. I'd rather have my fruit another way, such as apple jelly and butter on toast, instead of apple butter.

Hi guys, this is my TNT blueberry butter recipe. It rocks on scones!

If possible I try to get all three ingredients in organic varieties. (You can even try making your own homemade dried blueberries ahead of time.)

This simple recipe can be prepared in minutes and eaten immediately. Perfect for Sunday brunch or afternoon tea, it also goes great on pancakes and waffles.

Blueberry Butter

1 ¼ cups of dried blueberries (un-sulphured)

1 ½ cups of margarine or butter, brought to room temperature

3 tbsps liquid honey

Directions

In a food processor pulse the dried blueberries until they are as smooth as possible (a few “lumps” are alright, don’t worry). Add in the butter or margarine and the honey, continue pulsing for another 90 seconds or so, or until entirely smooth, depending on the consistency you are going for.

You may serve this right away, or keep it store in the fridge for about 7 days, well covered. It is wonderful on bagels, scones, toast, crackers-anything where you would normally use butter and jam together!

Makes about 2 ½ cups of blueberry butter

Andy M. said:
You kind of threw me for a loop when you mentioned apple butter. :ohmy:

I thought you were referring to compound butters like garlic butter or chive butter, etc.:-p
I thought the exact same thing Andy :)

I love apple butter, but I haven't had it in a long time. The first time I had it was in PA Dutch country. What a treat! I was skeptical at first (I was a kid at the time), but am so glad I tried it.

ironchef said:
The fruit butters that I think you're referring to are compound butters. You can use fruit concentrate, preserves, etc. to flavor the butter with. You would use the same method as making say, Maitre'D Hotel Butter. Just let the butter soften until room temp. then mix it together with your flavoring agent until you get the desired texture and flavor that you're looking for. Most places will give it a similar consistency to whipped butter.

Actually, the recipes I've seen for apple butter contain no butter. It's just cooked down apples and sugar with seasonings. Therein lies the confusion!

The Barefoot Contessa combined butter and marmalade, for one of her parties. Why not the same with any other jam? No recipe needed. She did hers in the mixer but for a small amount, how easy is that?

Andy M. said:
Actually, the recipes I've seen for apple butter contain no butter. It's just cooked down apples and sugar with seasonings. Therein lies the confusion!
Yeah come to think of it, I don't think the ones I tasted had any butter in them either.

This thread reminded me I have a jar of pumpkin butter somone gave me a few months ago. I suppose we'd better try it and see what it is like.

[font=times new roman, times]Michigan State University Extension [/font]
[font=times new roman, times]Preserving Food Safely - 01600550
08/03/99
[/font]
[font=times new roman, times]MAKING FRUIT BUTTERS

[/font]
[font=times new roman, times][font=times new roman, times]Butters can be made from most fruits or fruit mixes. Apple
is the most common butter, but apricot, crabapple, grape,
peach, pear and plum also make good butters.
[/font]
[font=times new roman, times]The fruit is prepared similarly to preserve fruit, but the
soft fruits should be mashed and the hard ones diced or
chopped. Add water to cook the fruit soft enough to be
pressed through a food mill or sieve to make smooth butter-
texture.
[/font]
[font=times new roman, times]Use 3/4 cup of sugar to 1 cup of fruit pulp for butters.
Do not make a single batch larger than four cups of pulp
plus added sugar. Stir constantly when heating; the mixture
will stick easily. A heavy pan will work better for this
than a light, thin one. Dissolve the sugar on low heat then
bring the mixture to a rapid boil and cook until thick.
[/font]
[font=times new roman, times]Skim off any foam from the top of the pot and then pour
the mixture into jars. Process butter in a boiling water
bath canner.
[/font]
[font=times new roman, times][/font]

Go To Top of File Michigan State University Extension Home Page Main Page for this Data Base Food, Nutrition and Health AOE

This information is for educational purposes only. References to commercial products or trade names does not imply endorsement by MSU Extension or bias against those not mentioned. This information becomes public property upon publication and may be printed verbatim with credit to MSU Extension. Reprinting cannot be used to endorse or advertise a commercial product or company. This file was generated from data base 01 on 05/29/03. Data base 01 was last revised on 08/03/99. For more information about this data base or its contents please contact wrublec@msue.msu.edu . Please read our disclaimer for important information about using our site.

Boy...I got everyone going on this one! LOL Here's the kind of Apple Butter I was talking about....and wondered if anyone else had tried any of these more properly said: Fruit Butters. [/font]

Back
Top Bottom