Mish! Baking apples in the crockpot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
:)
On another thread, you said something about "baking" apples in the crockpot. You have a way of doing this? On high or low and for how long?

Baked Apples In The Crock

HOW BOUT 3/4 FULL OF APPLES. GRANNIES, MACINTOSH, SOMETHING TART. 1UP RED WINE OR CIDER, AND MULLING SPICES OF UR CHOICE. ON MED. AND ROTATE EVERY HOUR OR SO, IF NOT THEN ON LOW FOR 4-5 HRS. IM THINKING THIS MIGHT WORK. ILL TRY IT MANANA AND SEE.:devilish:

Texas...sorry I missed your post.

Haven't tried it yet, but see what you think.

6 to 8 medium cooking apples, cored (McIntosh, Rome Beauty, Granny Smith, Fuji, Jonathan, etc.)
2 to 3 tablespoons raisins
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
2 tablespoons butter

Mix raisins, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; fill center of apples. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon and dot with butter. Place in slow cooker; pour 1/2 cup warm water around apples. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, until apples are tender.

Sounds a little stingy on the raisins, to me. I would like some chopped walnuts too. :LOL: Wonder if dropping a caramel in each apple would turn out. Some recipes I've read call for brown sugar - and lemon juice or apple juice in place of the water. I use the recipes as a guideline, and put in the ingredients I like. I also lift the cover (even though you're not supposed to) to see how much cooking time the dish needs.

This sounds interesting.
[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Baked Ginger Apples[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Makes 4 servings[/font]

19686.jpg

[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]large Red Delicious apples[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/3 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]cup chopped macadamia nuts[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/4 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]cup chopped dried apricots[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]tablespoon dark brown sugar[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3/4 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]cup brandy[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]cup vanilla pudding and pie filling mix[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 [/font][font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]cups heavy cream[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Slice tops off apples; core. Combine butter, nuts, apricots, ginger and brown sugar in medium bowl. Fill apples with nut mixture. Place apples in slow cooker. Pour brandy into slow cooker. Cover; cook on LOW 4 hours or on HIGH 2 hours.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gently remove apples from slow cooker; keep warm. Combine pudding mix and cream in small bowl. Add to slow cooker; stir to combine with brandy. Cover; cook on HIGH 30 minutes. Stir until smooth. Return apples to slow cooker; keep warm until ready to serve.[/font]

[font=Verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Serve apples with cream mixture.[/font]

Hope these are close to something you might want to try.

WOW That looks awesome! It is cloudy and damp here in Kansas and I woke up wanting to cook EVERYTHING! That would make the house smell wonderful.... think I am onto something here.... "edible potpourri" :glare:

shannon in KS said:
WOW That looks awesome! It is cloudy and damp here in Kansas and I woke up wanting to cook EVERYTHING! That would make the house smell wonderful.... think I am onto something here.... "edible potpourri" :glare:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thank you, Shannon & welcome to DC.

Texas, hope the apples turn out yummy. Keep us posted. :) There's a pic I was looking at where the apple is stuffed with sausage and served with pancakes. Would make a nice brunch. Maybe we could put our heads together and come up with a recipe? I'll look for the pic and try to post it.

I know what I'm having for dessert Thursday night! Thanks mish!! I have 3 bags of apples (Rome, Granny Smith, & Red Delicious) & have been looking for something to do with them. Since we don't really like raisins, I'll leave those out but I have some caramels & I'll try that instead.

Mish, I made the first recipe you posted. All I can say is YUMMY!!!! I should have used my large crockpot because they were kinda hard to get out without tearing them up. My mom gave me a bottle of caramel syrup that you put in coffee & stuff & I poured some of that over each apple. I'm eating mine with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream. Thanks!!

So happy you liked it, Crewsk. Thank you KL.

Wonder if we could troubleshoot this sausage stuffed apple recipe for the crockpot? Guessing - brown the sausage first and then put it inside the apples. I have the recipe for making it the conventional way (if anyone is interested), but thought the apples slow cooked with the sausage would be very flavorful. Perhaps adding some sage to the sausage, and preparing the waffles/pancakes when the apples are close to being finished. Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom