Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that was very nice of your daughter. IT will at least be acouple days less stressful for you. Hope eveything goes well.

even though i am not 100 % i feel a bit better.But when my son woke up this morning :sick: it wasn't good. Poor little is so hot and weak. it's slways sad when a little one gets sick.
we were going to go for your special greek dinner tonight, but if the boy still isn't keep stuff down then i guess we will be home or the clinic. one more day left of the BF days off--wonder what can happen tomorrow:neutral:

I'm so sorry about your little one. It's always so heart wrenching when a child is ill. I do hope he will feel better soon and you as well. Stress doesn't make for good health either does it.
Hope tomorrow is a better day.

csalt said:
I'm so sorry about your little one. It's always so heart wrenching when a child is ill. I do hope he will feel better soon and you as well. Stress doesn't make for good health either does it.
Hope tomorrow is a better day.
Hi csalt,
we do have a positive thread, it's called celebrations you can find it here:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f26/celebrations-28998.html

kadesma:)

Many thanks kadesma. Sorry if I keep 'getting it wrong' there's so much to learn, discover and explore here that I keep rushing off in different directions.
Will probably be absent for a while after Wed. as I will be making daily journeys to visit Ian in hospital.
Thanks again.

This is a really teeny tiny vent, but for anyone who has curly hair, they'll get what I'm on about. I have finished the huge supply of frizzease I bought with me to Italy, I have not found it anywhere here yet, and I am DREADING the onset of bad frizz! I have manicly curly/fizzy hair, and I hardly know how I coped before frizzease......al my other products are really easily available, but not the serum! Oh well, some experimentation will ensue I guess!

Last edited:
I'm going out of my mind with stress. A number of issues have been building for a year or so and I haven't been myself lately. I think it's finally getting to me but I don't know how to deal with it. I was on the verge of quitting booze for good but everything kind of came to a head at about the same time recently and I started drinking heavily again, which is not good. I have every reason to be thankful for everything in my life yet a few key issues have gotten me all topsy-turvy. AARGH! I had to get all that off my chest. Feel free to call the nice men in white suits.

DampCharcoal said:
I'm going out of my mind with stress. A number of issues have been building for a year or so and I haven't been myself lately. I think it's finally getting to me but I don't know how to deal with it. I was on the verge of quitting booze for good but everything kind of came to a head at about the same time recently and I started drinking heavily again, which is not good. I have every reason to be thankful for everything in my life yet a few key issues have gotten me all topsy-turvy. AARGH! I had to get all that off my chest. Feel free to call the nice men in white suits.
DC,
we all have stress, and we all handle it a different way..Me, my gang run for the hills cuz, I've been know to just pick up whatever and give it a heave ho out the first door I find! You say you were about to not drink anymore, that is wonderful, and I know you know this, but drinking on top of the stress only makes it worse. Plus it can add another stress. The stress of having your health go south and having to deal with that day after day..Be kind to yourself, pitch the booze, take a deep breath, come here and chat with us more, do things you enjoy that are stress relievers for you. We want you with us for a long time..Whatever that is bothering you, is not worth ruining your life and health for.
kadesma

kadesma said:
DC,
we all have stress, and we all handle it a different way..Me, my gang run for the hills cuz, I've been know to just pick up whatever and give it a heave ho out the first door I find! You say you were about to not drink anymore, that is wonderful, and I know you know this, but drinking on top of the stress only makes it worse. Plus it can add another stress. The stress of having your health go south and having to deal with that day after day..Be kind to yourself, pitch the booze, take a deep breath, come here and chat with us more, do things you enjoy that are stress relievers for you. We want you with us for a long time..Whatever that is bothering you, is not worth ruining your life and health for.
kadesma
Damp Charcoal those words of kadesma's are spot on. Could you write down a list of things you like to do?
walking
reading
meditating
listening to music
swimming
going to the gymn
coming here
Try to do at least one of them for a period of time every day and let your friends listen to and help you. People are wonderfully caring as a rule :)

Kadesma, you're absolutely right. I'm trying really hard and I do enjoy exercise and hard work. Csalt, I love doing everything you said but I'm unfamiliar with meditation.

DampCharcoal said:
Kadesma, you're absolutely right. I'm trying really hard and I do enjoy exercise and hard work. Csalt, I love doing everything you said but I'm unfamiliar with meditation.
DC, there isn't a man I know who doesn't enjoy working hard, playing hard, but they have a hard time just doing something like reading, watching a movie in the middle of the day, turning off the lawn mower and flying a kite with a child or grandchild. Why? I suppose it's the age old thing..MEN work, woman cook and clean..Men are made to feel somethimes as if they are slackers if they take time to enjoy life..I say phooey to all that, do something for your self for a change..Your life doesn't have to only be about giving,,share it, enjoy it, it only comes once and then it's someone elses turn..Meditation, can be something as simple as sitting on the grass under a tree on a warm day, just musing about something that gave you great pleasure..Like, remember when dad took you to that ballgame,the fun you had, or mom spent the morning with you baking your favorite cookies, your wedding day, your first child, or just gazing about you at what nature has to offer...Keep trying DC, you're strong and young and you can do this!

kadesma:)

DampCharcoal said:
Nevermind. Let's drop it, shall we?

You drop it, we've caught it and will keep you in our thoughts so you are in a safety net:)

DampC....I pm'd you. Keep in mind if you ever need to talk just give me a shout. Take care of yourself.....we're all here for you.....we want to help if you'll let us.

A silly, self induce head against a brickwall moment. I am staying with a friend this weekend, and planned to take her a cake. She is difficult to cook for because of food allergies but my usual lemon/almond cake seems alright, and in any case her husband can eat it. Annoyingly I don't have scales here so spent ages googling cup/g conversions for differnt ingrediants, except the butter, which was exactly half a pack. I just went to check it and it was swimming in butter and turning into abiscuit....I looked around and realise I have thrown in the whole pack of butter insteaad of half. I'm kicking myself. I'll have to go out for more stuff now, and wasted perfectly good food. :(

MIL for sale!

Grrrr, sometimes, with me, anyway, it's not the little things so much as it is ALL the little things that build up. I know it's not healthy for me or the rest of the household, and I am trying to get a grip. MIL is constantly rearranging my stuff in the kitchen, knowing full well I don't like it. I've told her I keep things where I do for reasons.
Yesterday, unloading the dishwasher, I noticed my toy drawer looked off. Then it hits me, my dry-measuring cups are gone. So I go hunting. I find them in the drawer that she had asked me to reserve as "her" drawer only. She'd not just put them there, but buried them under her rolling pin, mandoline (ouch!) and her set of nasty old plastic measuring cups. Alongside my immersion blender she insisted was hers. Mind you, she has three sets of measuring cups and does not need mine. I don't use hers because she doesn't keep things clean. I find things of mine weekly that have magically made their way into "her"drawer. The blender, my wire whisks, cookie scoops, dough scrapers, etc. You name it, she claims it. Despite the fact that some of my things have my initials etched in from when I'd take things to work with me. And she already has more than one of everything she takes from me.
DH wants me to be nice about it, insisting that she means well. I disagree, because she knows full well what she's doing and I've made clear to her that I put things in certain places because I blind-reach for things as I work and expect them to be there. She likes to think of herself as a gourmet cook and owns 100s of cookbooks and more toys than she'll ever use, taking up about 75% of the cupboards in the kitchen of my house. But she rarely cooks. I told DH I tolerate her domination of the cupboard space on the condition that MY stuff be left where I put it.
She self-medicates, booze, pills, etc. I've had to put key locks on my bedroom door and my home office so she stays out of my papers and my medicine cabinet. I'm getting close to doing the same with the kitchen.
Gosh, did I ramble, and I am sorry. This looks petty, I know. It's actually the tip of a complicated iceberg. The kitchen is just too close to my heart. Thanks for listening, to those of you that have read this far. I do feel better just for having gotten this out.

I so feel your pain,and I bet I'd have fun swapping in law stories with you! Unfortunately things with my in laws are at a low right now, and I no longer have to live with them, which is great, but when I see caller id I still flinch, so I know how you feel.

I used to have a whole load of coping mechanisms for that reach for the drawer/cupboard and its gone moment....sort of personal rewards that me and DH planned, like, if X happened and I did not react to it he would bring me a glass of wine in the bath, or I'd get a back rub or something. Vice versa. It doesn't stop the annoying behaviour and the light behind your eyes still flashes when x happens, but you need to know there is something positive, because you have to have a long term sanity preservation technique!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom