Vine Ripened Tomato Salad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What a lovely picture Ironchef! Do you use a real paint brush or a pastry brush? I've used a pastry brush before, a I wasn't too sure how safe (aka, potentially toxic) a paint brush might be...If you used a paint brush what type did you use?

BTY this recipe sounds fabulous, do you think that you might like to share it with us in the salad section? :chef:

Piccolina said:
What a lovely picture Ironchef! Do you use a real paint brush or a pastry brush? I've used a pastry brush before, a I wasn't too sure how safe (aka, potentially toxic) a paint brush might be...If you used a paint brush what type did you use?

BTY this recipe sounds fabulous, do you think that you might like to share it with us in the salad section? :chef:

Pretty much any brush with nylon bristles will work. You'd just need to decide on the size you need.

The recipe is pretty easy, it's getting the best quality ingredients to make it that's the challenge. Depending on where you live, the quality of fresh vine ripened tomatoes vary so that would play a big part in making the dish. Basically, the components would be:
  • Fresh Tomatoes, blanched for 20 seconds then shocked in ice water, skins and seeds removed, cut into wedges
  • Good Quality Goat Cheese
  • Fresh Thai Basil
  • Lemon-Infused Olive Oil
  • Aged Balsamic Vinegar, reduced down to make a syrup
  • Pastry Shell (optional)
  • Salt and Pepper
Blend some of the oil with some of the basil, let sit overnight then strain. Chiffonade a little basil, then toss with the tomatoes and oil to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Arrange with slices or quenelles of goat cheese, drizzle with the balsamic syrup.

Back
Top Bottom