ISO Recipe for Smoked pork shoulder roast, bone-in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry

Assistant Cook
I have a pork shoulder I'd like to smoke - but not with bar-b-q sauce. I'm looking to do something different with it. Any suggestions?

Larry, I found this on the Southern Living site. It looks good and since I don't know what part of the country you are from, if you've never tried the Cider Vinegar BBQ sauce you have got to try it. It's not anything like the thick, heavy BBQ sauces. Very much worth making!!! I hope this helps.

SMOKED PORK SHOULDER

1 (5- to 6-pound) pork shoulder or Boston butt pork roast
2 teaspoons salt
10 pounds hardwood charcoal, divided
Hickory wood chunks

SPRINKLE pork with salt; cover and chill 30 minutes.
PREPARE charcoal fire with half of charcoal in grill; let burn 15 to 20 minutes or until covered with gray ash.

PUSH coals evenly into piles on both sides of grill. Carefully place 2 hickory chunks on top of each pile, and place food rack on
grill.

PLACE pork, meaty side down, on rack directly in center of grill. Cover with lid, leaving ventilation holes completely open.

PREPARE an additional charcoal fire with 12 briquets in an auxiliary grill or fire bucket; let burn 30 minutes or until covered with gray ash. Carefully add 6 briquets to each pile in smoker; place 2 more hickory chunks on each pile. Repeat procedure every 30 minutes.

COOK, covered, 5 hours and 30 minutes or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers at least 165°, turning once the last 2 hours. (Cooking the pork to 165° makes the meat easier to remove from bone.)

REMOVE pork; cool slightly. Chop and serve with Cider Vinegar Barbecue Sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Prep: 30 min.; Chill: 30 min.; Cook: 5 hrs., 30 min.

CIDER VINEGAR BARBECUE SAUCE

This sauce is often referred to as Lexington-Style Dip, but there are many variations. Most folks can't resist adding their own touch.

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon hot sauce
1 teaspoon browning and seasoning sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

STIR together all ingredients in a medium saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 7 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Cover and chill sauce until ready to serve. Serve with Smoked Pork Shoulder. Yield: 2 cups.
Prep: 10 min., Cook: 7 min.

Note: For testing purposes only, we used Texas Pete Hot Sauce and Kitchen Bouquet Browning & Seasoning Sauce.

Kitchenelf, Thanks for the reply. I haven't tried the vinegar based sauce yet, but I plan to sometime.

I cooked the pork shoulder yesterday in a water smoker. I ended up putting a dry rub on it (paprika, brown sugar, etc.) and smoked it for two hours. I then emptied the water pan of water and in it's place put 2 pounds of sour kraut, 2 chopped baking apples, 1 tbs caraway seeds, 1 tsp celery salt, a cup of white wine, and a quart of hot water. After putting the smoker back together, I cooked this an additional two hours. (if your not familiar with the smoker, the water pan is above the charcoal and the meat is above the water pan.) This way the sour kraut developed a slight smoky taste and the meat picked up something from the kraut. All the while I was using apple wood for the smoke.

It actually worked out quite well. It was a tasty combination on the plate. Thanks again.

Larry,

I'm glad your pork shoulder turned out good. I got a smoker for Christmas (yes, I am one of those women who actually like kitchen appliances over clothes/jewlery and such for presents. I might have to go "necked" for lack of clothes but dang, I have some nice kitchen gadgets :cool:

You will really like the cider-based sauce - addicting!

Going Necked

KitchenElf:
And here I thought it was the Whine.
I think some of mine might be revoked, were I to try that ! ! !
David

The DH and I bought one of those fancy smancy propane smoker barbque's at Wally World's end of summer sale last year ....used it a few times during the winter...but dang...it's already HOT here in Texas....so over Memorial day...we took the easy (cool) way out...marinated our brisket in liquid smoke overnight....then put the brisket on the roasting rack of his grandmothers HUGE roaster pan, poured the marinade in bottom of the pan, set the OVEN on low and let it cook overnight. About an hour before serving, I took the lid off to let it get nice and brown. Looked and tasted like we'd roasted it long and slow in the smoker. ..tender, juicy, smokey...delicious. Think I'm gonna try the same thing with a lovely pork loin this weekend.

I love it when cheatin' actually pays off Norma!!!! Tell me one more time what brand of liquid smoke your DH "approves" of. I had it at one time but I'm afraid it got thrown out. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom