Questions about caramel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heathergallagher

Assistant Cook
I have an easy reicpe for caramels. 1 cup of: Butter, brown sugar, whole milk, heavy cream, corn syrup. 2 cups of sugar. 1.5 tsp vanilla.

I also have a new stove which presents a slight problem for me when I cook. I'm not used to a gas stove top! The basic recipe states that to "over low" in a pan, stir everything together (except van.) and keep stiring gently until the butter melts. Then "over low" cook to 248f take a 9X13, line it w/foil and butter it. pour in the candy and then cool and cut and wrap.

I only made this recipe a few times last year but everyone loved it. This year I made several batches that were wonderful, smooth, buttery...and I'm making more to give as Christmas gifts to clients. I usually cook a tad above the "2" on the new stove dial. The deals are 1-10.

I've noticed the past couple of times that there is a lot of oil or grease bubbling at the top of the pot when it's nearing 248. I even had to drain some off the last batch I made.

Should I be cooking it on higher than 2? It's my aunt's recipe and she said it takes about 45 minutes but for me it's been taking more than an hour and actually closer to 90 minutes. Should caramel be at a soft but rolling boil?

Does the pan make much difference? I'm using a round pan...the kind Imight cook spaghetti in if I only had to cook for 2. It's a good sized pan but not too big I think. I wonder though, if I would be better off with more of a sauce pa ..around 5 quarts?

I need any ideas or tips because I have to make 40 boxes of these things!

Thank in Advance

--Heather Gallagher

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom