What's the Dipping Sauce for Shish Kebab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

love2eat

Assistant Cook
I learned a traditional recipe for Shish Kebab from my Arabs neighbors when I lived in South America.
  • Ground beef with chopped parsley and pinch of salt. Mix well.
  • Wrap meat mixture on bamboo skewers with about 1 inch in diameter and 4 inches in length.
  • Grill immediately on heated charcoal about 2-3 minutes each side.
  • Remove from heat and serve.
I have not found a good dipping sauce to go with that dish. Does anyone know what kind of sauce they use?

-----------
Love2Eat from Hawaii

Last edited:
Some kind of peanut sauce would be good. Here's one I like...while not authentic, it's very good, and so easy.

1/2 cup Pace® Picante Sauce
2 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
3 green onions, thickly sliced

Heat together in saucepan on med/low, stirring occasionaly, until smooth and bubbling.

We have some northern Africans on board...they can probably suggest something more authentic.

Because you are grilling them, I would think any good BBQ sauce would be tastey. OR if you like horseradish, you could make a snappy coconut milk dip ...
Start with a basic white sauce except substitute coconut milk (not the goopy, sweetened stuff for drinks) for the milk. Add 2 rounded tablespoons of grated or prepared horseradish (or to your taste). Simmer to thickened and dip away!
I'm not sure what they normally dip them in ...

Here are two that go well with any kabobs. We use it in Indian cooking and they go well with middle eastern as well:

Mint and Cilantro Chutney:

1 bunch fresh mint
1 bunch fresh cilantro
6 cloves of garlic
1 jalapeno (optional)
juice of a lime
salt to taste
pinch of cumin powder

Blend all of this in a blender. Add a tiny bit of water to help the blending process. No oil just water. Once it's all blended adjust the sourness and salt based on your liking.

Serve plain as a dipping sauce or mix it with plain yogurt for another variation

Another nice complimentary sweet and spicy dipping sauce is as follows:

2 whole Arabol Chillies (available in most ethnic stores, including hispanic markets)
1/2 cup of white vinegar
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp of minced garlic
3 tbsp of sugar
2 tbsp of finely chopped parsley or cilantro

Mix it all together and allow the flavors to come together for an hour before serving.

Back
Top Bottom