ISO Eggplant with Peanut Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
A huge market used to carry a cold prepared Eggplant with Peanut Sauce dish - to go. They have long since stopped carrying it. The dish may be Asian or Asian inspired. I recall a hint of heat - perhaps chili oil or red pepper flakes. Not too hot, as I'm not a fan of spicy food. Anyone have a recipe? TIA

P.S. Another dish they carry that I like is an Italian cold pasta side -- can't remember the name. The ingredients I recall:

Little ravioli-like pillows with a cheese filling, diced mozzarella, tomatoes(?), and basil in a vinaigrette-like dressing. The name was something like Agni(?), etc. etc. Wanted to make this at home as well. Both dishes are served cold.

Last edited:
Piccolina said:
Hi Mish, I'm not familiar with the eggplant dish that you mean (though the thought of eggplant and peanut butter is very interesting!), but I took a stab at what I could find online and Epicurious offers up this yummy looking recipe for Indonesian-style grilled eggplant.

Thank you, thank you! This is very close to the taste/dish I so wanted to duplicate. I will eliminate the chili pepper and perhaps use red pepper flakes. I'm sure peanut butter was not an ingredient. If you have never tried this COLD dish, it is simply heaven. Great googling!

Hi Mish, you are very welcome :) I'm happy that this "shot in the dark" Google search is so close to the recipe that you had in mind. If you make it I'd really like to hear first hand how it turns out (now my curousity is peaked too!).

If you give it a go, the eggplant was chopped (rather than sliced), and I would not serve it hot with the sauce poured over. I would put it in the fridge with the cooled sauce to marinate and absolutely serve cold. Thanks again, as I now have a starting point to experiment with. I bet this would make a fab eggplant peanut bruschetta too. :chef:

Last edited:
Oh wow, Piccolina! I've saved that one to try when the weather gets a little warmer.

I'm with you, mish - going with the red pepper flakes!

Lee

Qsis, it was worth $6.99 a pound. I would almost suggest serving it over pasta, but it never lasted long enough around here. :angel: I'm hoping, hoping it's the same recipe, but it looks so yummy anyhew.

Back
Top Bottom