Do you cook a Boston Butt, fat side up or

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have no idea what a Boston Butt is but I have tears running down my face as I read this. Someone had better burst my bubble and clarify.

I would normally type ROFLMAO but maybe it better be ROFLM "B B" O!

Sorry to burst your evil bubble, Boston Butt is a cut of meat from the front shoulder of a hog.

lulu said:
I have no idea what a Boston Butt is but I have tears running down my face as I read this. Someone had better burst my bubble and clarify.

I would normally type ROFLMAO but maybe it better be ROFLM "B B" O!
Now you have me laughing -- too cool !!! :LOL:

I like the wrap in plastic and foil route my pork all ways comes out juicy and so tender a baby could eat it . I have done this commercially for years with no complaints.

Dave Hutchins said:
I like the wrap in plastic and foil route my pork all ways comes out juicy and so tender a baby could eat it . I have done this commercially for years with no complaints.

Just a question - have you ever smoked/cooked it NOT wrapped? It still comes out juicy, tender, and almost butter-like. Then there is the "bark" that is the REAL treat for those standing first in line! OR, are you talking about in the oven. I have also placed mine on a rack in the oven (not in a pan), placed a pan of apple juice below, set the oven at 225º. Cooked to an internal temp of about 190-something and it was awesome. Of course, it was a rather huge piece of meat and took 20 hours to cook. But boy, was it good.

I mostly am a fat cap remover on Boston butts! I also remove what is known as the "false cap" that lies underneath the fat cap. Sometimes this is where you find a hidden lymp node. There is plenty of fat in the butt muscle to keep it moist and tender. Rubs/mops/sauces on the fat cap are wasted! Smoke flavor laid on the fat cap is wasted (unless you eat fat) Also, you create more surface area for bark!!!!

That being said, do what makes you happy! I do!!;)

Beef brisket is another story.

Fun, and enjoy!!!

Back
Top Bottom