Question for those with Food Savers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Home chef

Senior Cook
I own a party rental company. One of the items I rent out is a cotton candy machine. When the customer rents the machine I supply them with the cones as well as the floss (flavored sugar). The problem is I can only get the floss in 1/2 gallon paper milk containers from the manufacturer. Typically, a customer will only use the equivelant of 1 to 2 cups worth of floss. I was wondering if I could measure out equal serving sizes and seal each one up in a Food Saver bag. Can you use this machine and bags for powders or will it screw up the machine?

I was thinking about portioning out the floss in disposable GladWare containers but it would become way too expensive that way. At least with the Food Saver machine I could use it around the kitchen as well.

I know I need a food handlers license to do this but the license aside for now, is this possible or perhaps there is a better way?

Food Saver would work well for this - I mean, I even use it for saving soup in a bag!

One thing to consider - the bags aren't cheap. It's most economical to buy the rolls, so you can make the bags the size you want. But they still aren't inexpensive. However, I would really try this if I were you!

I would absolutely go with the rolls. I didn't know they made pre-sized bags. Well, I'm off now to look for a machine. I've been wanting one for a long time now. This might just be my kick in the pants to get one.

Great idea - and the newer food savers have an "instant seal" setting if you're concerned about the powder.

You can also put a paper towel in the bag towards the top before sealing. That will catch any loose sugar as it seals.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom