Fresh Broccoli Bake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
Fresh Broccoli Bake

You can also add chopped ham with the broccoli for a main dish.

Ingredients:
1 3 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 1/2 C milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste (I use less)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
3 C chopped, cooked broccoli (barely tender)

Directions:
Blend the cream cheese and milk; add beaten eggs and lemon juice. Mix in salt, nutmeg and parsley. Mix well. Add chopped broccoli.

Pour into prepared loaf pan.

Bake about 1 hour at 325°.
:)

Constance said:
Keep'em coming, friend...you're on a roll!

:clap:

You beat me to it, Constance. MMMMMMMmmmm Broccoli! Yes! I'll need something healthy to balance the menu after eating your Twisted Brownies as a first course. A new memeber for my broccoli files. TY, pds.:)

texasgirl said:
yummy!! I love anything with broccoli!!
Texas, you and I must be veggie-mates, I just adore broccoli too! (DH won't go near it, but that just means more for me! :LOL:)

Awesome looking recipe Pdswife, thank-you for sharing this yummy looking dish :) (I wonder if I could do it with low fat cream cheese and skim milk?)

pdswife said:
I don't see why not. I'm really proud of you for going healthy!
Thank-you so much Pdswife :kiss: That really means a lot to me.

Right on, I just need to grab some more broccoli (finished it up in a soup) and I'm all good to go :)

pdswife said:

mmmm! Or chicken or turkey, for a "devin" sort of meal.

I'm making this sometime this weekend! Thanks!

Lee

Well, I made the recipe

pdswife said:
Fresh Broccoli Bake

Ingredients:
1 3 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 1/2 C milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste (I use less)
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (freshly grated is best)
1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
3 C chopped, cooked broccoli (barely tender)

Directions:
Blend the cream cheese and milk; add beaten eggs and lemon juice. Mix in salt, nutmeg and parsley. Mix well. Add chopped broccoli.

Pour into prepared loaf pan.

Bake about 1 hour at 325°.

Frankly, I was kind of disappointed. Mine was watery and bland, where I was hoping for something more cheesy, eggy, bold.

However, I love the concept of this - broccoli casserole baked in a loaf pan. Maybe if I used more cream cheese and less lemon? Less milk?

I'd like to try some alterations that might work better for me.

Lee

Last edited:
pdswife,

No need for you to be sorry!

I hope it's okay that we post "less than great" reviews of recipes posted here, when we encounter disappointments.

I think trading pros, cons, and suggestions for improvements increase the learning experiences for all of us, as well as lending credibility to this forum.

Lee

Post away.

I have some in the oven now and it's thickening up nicely.
I only had about two cups of veggies... mixed broc and Kellyflower ( as friends son used to call it) and only used one cup of milk.

That's a good question. I made this last night ( I've had it before , made by a friend) but never cooked it myself. It tastes really good and for me it thickened up.

The veggies were very soft. Paul likes them that was so it was fine.
I like them a little harder though so... next time I'll try it with out pre cooking the veggies. I'll let ya know Constance.

Constance said:
I have a question: if the broccoli is going to bake for an hour in the oven, do you really need to pre-cook it?

I was thinking the same thing, I think for people (like me) who prefer the veggies not too soft, precooking wouldn't be necessary. I also suggest, if there is a problem with too much liquid, how about some grated lemon zest instead of juice?

Anyhow this recipe looks really good Trish, I would love to try that next time we get some broccoli!! I would also think this recipe may work well with brussel sprouts!!

Back
Top Bottom