What makes stroganoff rich? dinner menu 1/17?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I have a couple of fillet/steaks defrosting. Just the two of us means I won't make a huge batch of stroganoff. My question is, what makes that really rich sauce that you think of 'should' be in the best stroganoff? Is it red wine, vinegar, butter, (I know the sour cream helps) boullion? I used to use the packets mixes in the market when making stroganoff because they seem to contain all the right things. I'd like to make a rich sauce for the shrooms/meat/onions etc. to swim in so the noodles are extra special. Any ideas of how to achieve?
With the beef stronganoff, it's buttered noodles, fresh fruit cut up, fresh veggies as a salad, olive bread that DH bought at Albertson's that is really good and Myer Lemon Meringue pie.
After going through some cookbooks, I am doing what I've seen call for in the various books I've had out of my bed. Red wine and melted butter is what the fillets/steaks are defrosting in. I'll use that liquid to add to the other ingredients for the stroganoff.

Looks like not many are cooking tonight.......Anyone else?

Last edited:
I'm just doing sloppy joes. I don't feel like cooking this week. All of mine is going to be this weekend.

No cooking here - meeting up with some friends for dinner at the brewpub.

Definitely need to try the latest brew though...

Snowplowed
A unique ale that’s sure to warm your cockels. Made with wheat, rye, honey malted barley, and juniper berries. A slightly sweet maltiness balanced by the fruity tang of juniper.
ABV: 6.25%
IBU: 15

What to have with it, who knows? Depends on the specials they have, otherwise it'll probably be a rueben.

John

(And I have no idea with the stroganoff - although I love the stuff! I always thought it was the sour cream...)

Lefse, the key to the creamy richness of the stroganoff is sour cream. Just add it when everything is just about done, stir it in and heat it back up.

My version of stroganoff uses marsala wine, sautè the onions, mushrooms and meat, then let it simmer with some wine and a bayleaf. Then at the end the sour cream. The authenticity is a question, but it is always a hit with everyone:)

However today I am making a risotto with pumpkin and smoked provola and potato and scallion frittata.

I always cheat with stroganoff, and use some cream of mushroom soup, thinned down with milk, then some sour cream at the end.

Dinner tonight is roasted chicken legs with 40 cloves of garlic, roasted garlic mashed potatoes, gravy, and a veg of some sort, either broccoli or peas.

My first real day of not having to go to work, hurry home and then decide what's for supper:LOL: I didn't know what to do with myself:ROFLMAO: So I decided to play in the kitchen and so, we are having the baked squash, mushroom stuffed roast chicken, a pear and grape salad and biscuits and honey.

kadesma

lefse, the secret to rich gravy imo is in a few steps. first, flour and brown the meat well in 50/50 butter and oil, creating a good fond. this will give it good, deep flavor. then, more wine, and more butter; reduce any beef stock before adding, eventually add the sour cream.
i'm not sure of the recipe you're using, but i like to cook finely diced and sweated veggies like celery,carrot, and onion with the meat and wine, then blend them into the sauce at the end. and if needed, a cornstarch slurry to make it thick and shiny on the noodles.

oh yeah, we had takeout italian. endive/radicchio/arrugula salad, calamari salad, chicken parm, veal picatta, ziti, and cavatelli with broccoli.

Last edited:
no dinner with us....
went out for Lunch to a chinese restaurant with a friend and colleague of Frank.. so just some bread in the evening...

kadesma said:
...baked squash, mushroom stuffed roast chicken, a pear and grape salad and biscuits and honey.

kadesma

can I come over:angel:?
Thanks to all who helped me with the Stroganoff quiry. I made it, much like discussed here on the forum and without much exception (BuckyToms idea about the sweating the other vegs then puree-ing them, due to not reading that in time) it came up wonderful. So darn good. Only problem was, I just bought two containers of McCormicks's seasoning, in a Pepper Medley flavor. Meaning I thought I was all pepper, of all sorts, combined, so sounded good to me. I bought two of them as they were on sale. Guess what it contained and guess when I read the ingredients? MSG and after we'd eaten dinner and the Lemon Meringue Pie. Guess who couldn't sleep all night due to a heartwrenching headache? Me. Taking it back to the market today. Hoping they exchange it for something else and don't give me a hassle.

WHY DO THEY STILL PUT MSG IN CERTAIN THINGS? So many are allergic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom