What to do with cauliflower?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something that's easy:

Cut up and boil the cauliflower (best in chicken broth, imo). You want to make sure the liquid is just over the top of the cauliflower.
Then, when it's just about soft, make a nice rich roux: 6 tbsp butter, 6 tbsp flour, (you can also add 1/2 minced onion) cook over medium flame till it's completely mixed into a nice doughy looking form, then add 3 cups of milk (or 1/2 milk, 1/2 cream), cook, stirring the whole time. Turn off heat when it's mixed. Then, using an imersion blender (stick blender), completely blenderize the cauliflower into a liquid. Add 1-2 lbs of frozen potato cubes and cook (stir occasionally) till potatoes are hot. Add the roux/milk to the soup and stir thoroughly. When serving, top each bowl with a sprinkling of bacon and shredded cheese.

I love cauliflower!!! I'll take Andy's share!!!! One way to fix this is to steam until almost tender, add to a wild rice mix that has been cooked to the directions. Add a block of cream cheese; put all of this into a buttered casserole, top with buttered bread crumbs and bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. My hubby loves this and this dish also freezes well for another time.

Shunka said:
I love cauliflower!!! I'll take Andy's share!!!! One way to fix this is to steam until almost tender, add to a wild rice mix that has been cooked to the directions. Add a block of cream cheese; put all of this into a buttered casserole, top with buttered bread crumbs and bake for about 20 minutes at 350 degrees. My hubby loves this and this dish also freezes well for another time.

This proves nothing!!!:huh:

The dish would taste good without the cauliflower!!!!!:mrgreen:

My family hated cauliflower until I made it this way... and it's soooo simple...

clean a head of cauliflower and cut into serving sizes. Place in large microwaveable bowl. Dot with butter, sprinkle with nutmeg, and cook until it's at the consistency you like.

YUM!! My cauliflower haters took seconds! (Ya listening Andy?)

"Dot" and "sprinkle" do not imply enough quantity of extra ingredients to make me even consider trying it again.

Broccoli rates up there close to cauliflower for me too. I'll eat broccoli raw with dip (dill or ranch, but prefer dill), and mascerated (sp?) with cheddar cheese (meaning have a little broccoli with your cheese). T'aint a manner I'll eat cauliflower in so far, and I don't think the odds are good that will change.

I suppose since some veggies have been cooked to mush in the past, it isn't easy to try them. Cauliflower and broccoli are both delicious done right!

Here are some more ways to prepare cauliflower. I agree with Andy that it is pretty bland as is but a lot of the ethnic cultures season it up so well that you would never know it's a bland veggie.

Cauliflower Manchurian

Cut 1 large cauliflower into mid sized florets, wash and reserve
Add cornstarch (1 cup) in a flat bowl
Break a couple of eggs in a seperate bowl, whisk it with 2 tsp of soy sauce

Place a pan with oil and ensure its medium hot

Now pick up individual florets dip them in egg, coat them in cornstrach and fry. Once they are fried reserve them.

Now make the sauce:

2 tbsp of sugar
2 tsp of chilli sauce
2 tsp of ketchup
1/4 tsp of white vinegar
2 tsp of soy sauce
Stir all this together and reserve

1 clove of garlic finely chopped
1/2 stick of ginger finely chopped
1 bunch of green onions chopped
3-4 dried red arabol chillies (available at most grocery stores)

Add 2 tsp of oil to a wok or saute pan. Once it's smoking hot add the whole chillies and green onions. Next add the ginger,garlic and continue to cook it for another second. Next add the sauce and the cauliflower. Stir to combine and serve with rice

Curried Cauliflower and Potatoes
1 small cauliflower cut into small florets
2 small potatoes cut into small cubes
1 small onion finely diced
1 large tomato finely diced
1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and sliced thinly)
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1/2 stick of ginger grated
salt to taste
1 tbsp of curry powder
1/4 cup of water
cilantro for garnish
lime juice (1 tbsp)
2 tbsp of oil (any kind)

In a saute pan add the oil. Once the oil is hot add the onion and let it cook until lightly golden. Next add the ginger and garlic and saute it for a few more seconds. Follow this by the curry powder and saute it for another few seconds and add the tomatoes and let them release their water. Add the potatoes and cauliflower and water and stir and allow it to cook on low covered for 20 minutes or so. Check for doneness and continue to cook for another few minutes until the potatoes and cauliflower are tender. Finish with a squeeze of lime and cilantro. Stir and serve with naan or any other bread.

I tend to steam my veggies and eat them with just a little salt and pepper. They are not mush when they're done, they're al dente.

Because I eat veggies the way I do, I have an excellent opportunity to actually taste the veggies I eat. When I taste cauliflower, I don't like what I taste.

Of course I can hide the flavor with butter, or nutmeg or cheese or whatever, but why would I???? If I'm gonna add all that extra stuff to my veggies, I'll choose a veggie I already like and make it even better!

Have you heard of Cauliflower Popcorn? You basically remove core and tough stems and cut up the florets into appx. size of popcorn, then toss with 3 Tbsp. of olive oil and 2 teaspoons salt...roast in a 450 degree oven in shallow roasting pan for about 45-50 minutes, turning/stirring the pieces every 15 minutes. You want them good and browned, but not blackened, before taking out of the oven.

I'm not a big fan of cauliflower. I've bought some frozen veggies (california blend which has broccoli, cauliflower, and carrotts), cook them up and added butter and lawrys' seasoning salt.

I love cauliflower. I even like it just steamed with salt and pepper. I think pepper goes so with with it. For those that might not be crazy about cauliflower though try this recipe...

Smashed Cauliflower with Cheese

1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
3 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
1 cup shredded white extra-sharp Vermont Cheddar
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Regiano
Coarse black pepper and salt
A generous grating nutmeg

Place cauliflower in a medium shallow pot or pan. Add stock, cover and place pot over high heat. When liquid boils, reduce heat to simmer and cook covered 10 minutes. Remove cover, raise heat to medium high and allow the broth to reduce by half. Add 2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces and the cheeses and smash the cauliflower with a masher to the same consistency as desired for mashed potatoes. Season the cauliflower with black pepper, a pinch of salt and nutmeg.

Last edited:
Andy, I know cauliflower is a bit of love me or love me not so I don't blame you. But try steaming it for a quick few minutes, then put in an oven proof bowl, in another bowl, mix, cream, milk butter and gruyere cheese, pour on top of the cauliflower, sprinkle bread crumbs and put in the oven on very hot for 7 to 10 mins.Serve with whatever your hear desires. I like it with roast potatoes and roast chicken.

I'm with Andy on this one (use = bowling ball), but I appreciate everyone's valiant attempts to convert us barbarians.

I can manage a small raw floret if there's a decent dip around.

Back
Top Bottom