Greek this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greek... I don't know.... um... LOL!

We're having two couples over on the fourth and will be doing a huge Greek dinner. Lamb meat balls, pita, Greek salad, Bread and raw veggies with Tzatziki for dipping, Greek potatoes and maybe some Greek zucchini. And I'm hoping I can get Paul to make a large batch of Baklava.

Anyway... I'll be joining you for a Greek dinner but.. I'll be a week late.

Everyone enjoy!!!

I'm in if I can find something the guys will eat. We have had Gyros at a pizza place before. I wonder if it's the same thing?

I was up for Greek this weekend and had a menu planned out but then switched to French at the last minute.

How do you make your Gyros?

Hey, I can't find lamb down here, maybe Walmart will have it. BTW, what does it taste like? Is it gamey?

Greek it is then! I'm off to search some recipes. Lamb? Good grief! I've never cooked lamb before. Yikes!

texasgirl said:
Hey, I can't find lamb down here, maybe Walmart will have it. BTW, what does it taste like? Is it gamey?

Lamb is wonderful!
Can't explain the taste but I do know this for sure.
Make sure you're getting LAMB and not sheep!!! The older it get
the more gamey it tastes.

If you'd like my recipe for Lamb meat balls (quick easy and good!!) let me know.

For our Gyros... I roast a leg of lamb and then use the left over meat. Slice it up and then
Wrap it all up in some Greek pita bread and top with onions, tomatoes, roasted potatoes and Tzatziki. I also like mine with mustard instead of the Tzatziki. And you can always add some Feta cheese if you'd like.

Last edited:
I strain the yogurt over night in the fridge and then mix it all up together.

2 cups thick yogurt ( strained)
2 cup cucumber, peeled seeded and chopped ( size up to you..MIL grates hers. I leave mine chunky.)
1 clove garlic ( can add more to taste)
2 tsp olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh mint or dill. (I use dill)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice.

Strain yogart and then all the rest. Mix well.
I always make it a few hours ahead of time so that the flavors all meld together.

Enjoy!

texasgirl said:
Why do you strain yogurt?

That's why I'm wondering which route to go. Some people say straining it is the only way, I guess so it isn't watery. These same people shred the cucumber, sprinkle it with salt and squeeze the water from it as well. Other people just throw it all together.

Thanks pds! I think I'll strain too. Maybe I'll grate some cukes and dice some too, it'll be good all chunky.

Last edited:
Well is it just Dina, tg and I for greek this weekend?

I'm going to do some grocery store research and shopping tomorrow. Not sure about the leg of lamb, will see if they have it at Costco first. We have a friend coming up to visit this weekend so I'm not sure if I'll make this on Sat or Sun...not really sure when he's coming or if he'll be up for greek.

sorry, guys, I just don't like lamb or feta. Maybe I could make that Greek lasagna, pastitsio. And buy some baklava (right now all the work involved sounds onerous).

I'll be making chicken souvlaki too, mudbug. It is marinated in lemon and some other stuff then put on skewers and out on the grill.

Bought a 4lb leg of lamb today. $7/lb!!! at the grocery store and the only one they had was 6lbs=$45! Luckily they had it at Costco for half the price or I wouldn't be making any lamb this weekend! Do you guys know how to butterfly it?!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom