How big of a tamale steamer do I need??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Okay, dh has decided that I can make tamales:rolleyes: and now will buy me a steamer for them.
My question is, how big should I get? They don't have real big ones at Walmart or Target, so, I'm looking on line. What I want is like a 60 qt. or is that too big but, I want it wide not so deep. Do any of you chef's out there know what I'm looking for and where I can get one.

Okay, further looking, maybe 60qt. IS too big. Does this look good?

Last edited:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Ha Ha. I'm am in the same boat tg! This tamale steamer looks like it'd be perfect and cheap to boot! I think I may order one for myself. They didn't go for the greek food but they both loved the tamales! Maybe our husbands should meet!

I'm no expert, having never made tamales much less knowing there was a special steamer for it...but 7 dozen tamales is a LOT of tamales! I should really try to expand my horizons, the only things I eat at Mexican restaurants is burritos, quesadillas and taco salad!

Jenny said:
I'm no expert, having never made tamales much less knowing there was a special steamer for it...but 7 dozen tamales is a LOT of tamales! I should really try to expand my horizons, the only things I eat at Mexican restaurants is burritos, quesadillas and taco salad!
You're right, that is a lot of tamales. The recipe I made was about 4 dozen and I thought that was a lot. But as tamales are such a long process and freeze so well, I figure make a bunch at once and have enough tamales to last! Right, tg?!

The one I have (it was actually labeled as a tamale steamer pot) is about 20-qt. - enameled steel (blue with white specs like Grandma's old turkey roaster). I don't remember if I got it at WalMart, Target, K-Mart or an Albertson's grocery store. It's been 10-12 years but I know I didn't pay over $20 for it. It can easily handle 6-7 dozen tamales. It's also good for boiling pasta, shrimp boils, etc. Being enamel - it's non-reactive, so it can also be used for really big batches of chili, tomato sauces, etc.

Pots can only get so wide before they exceed the heat source under them. The general rule of thumb that I have always heard is that the diameter of the pot should not exceed the diameter of the burner more then 2-4 inches, with 2 inches being better.

A 60-qt pot isn't impossible to find. You just need to look for a professional kitchen supply store. You just put it together a la carte - you buy each piece seperately - the pot, the steamer basket, and the lid. I checked my favorite restaurant supply (they are on the other side of town from me) and found these:

Steamer/Tamale rack (14.75-inches wide or 12.75-inches wide), the pot, and the lid. These are light "standard" weight aluminum - heavy weight or SS is going to cost more (just browse their site for stock posts).

Hope this helps.

Jenny said:
I'm no expert, having never made tamales much less knowing there was a special steamer for it...but 7 dozen tamales is a LOT of tamales!

LOL - there really is no magic or anything special about a tamale steamer. It's just a pot with a lid and rack to hold the tamalies up above the water. Basically any stock pot with a rack in the bottom will work - I've used a 6-qt pot with a cake rack for small batches.

Last edited:
Michael, like the one at the bottom of this page? It's what I was looking for to begin with, but, I can't find it any cheaper than this.

Yeah, TG - like that - mine is just the older style dark blue and a little bigger.

That really doesn't look like a bad price. Shelf price has a lot to do with where you live, the ethnic makeup of the community, and where you shop.

I think that's the one that I'll get too. It looks like it's of better quality than the other. I want one that is going to last.

Ooooh, I like that last one, too. The trouble with using those spreading vegetable steamers is you can't get enough water in the bottom to last very long for tamales. Love the price on that one, too. I usually make about 7 dozen at a time and cobble them out among several pots.

Tamales are so labor intensive, it's better to set aside a couple of days and make a boatload of them for the freezer. Same for burritos, which also freeze great. Straight from freezer to oven and you have ready-made meals.

TexasBlueHeron said:
Ooooh, I like that last one, too. The trouble with using those spreading vegetable steamers is you can't get enough water in the bottom to last very long for tamales. Love the price on that one, too. I usually make about 7 dozen at a time and cobble them out among several pots.

Tamales are so labor intensive, it's better to set aside a couple of days and make a boatload of them for the freezer. Same for burritos, which also freeze great. Straight from freezer to oven and you have ready-made meals.

That's why I need to get one myself. DH liked the ones I made and is wanting some that he can have for lunches and just whenever he gets in the mood for them.

texasgirl said:
That's why I need to get one myself. DH liked the ones I made and is wanting some that he can have for lunches and just whenever he gets in the mood for them.
Same here. But I think I liked them just as much as he did, I also really liked making them. I'll probably do some more research and order a steamer tomorrow. I'm glad you've started this thread tg, it has been helpful to me as well!:chef:

corazon90 said:
Same here. But I think I liked them just as much as he did, I also really liked making them. I'll probably do some more research and order a steamer tomorrow. I'm glad you've started this thread tg, it has been helpful to me as well!:chef:

I know that many on here are going to say, "You don't need that" but, I'm thinking of getting the masa spreader too. I could not for the life of me, get the masa to spread well with my small spreader. I had to end up using my hands and I felt that it had too much masa on them. I like more meat than masa. DH liked them the way they were, but, I think if I thinned it just a little so there was more room for meat, he would like them better.

Please let me know how that masa spreader works out for you! If you're really happy with it, I may invest in one too. Like you, I just used my hands but I think my masa was thicker in consistency than yours so I was able to press it really thin and stuff it with a lot of meat. I was surprized on the recipes, they said 1/2 cup masa and only 1 Tablespoon of filling! I just made it the way I thought we'd like it.

No, I haven't. I have a $25 gift card to Sears,but you can't use it online and it's 40 miles to the nearest one. I'm on vacation, first time in 4 years, so, I may go look this week.

corazon90 said:
We have a Sears in town, I can go take a look if you want. odds are they'll have the same stuff, then you won't have to drive all that way.

You don't need to go to all that trouble!! If your in town, you can look, but, don't make an extra trip just for that. Thank you for asking!!:mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom