Salmon Sauces?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ANewCook

Assistant Cook
My family absolutley loves Salmon, and i've just been using a bit of Lemon Pepper seasoning on it. However, i'm looking to up the taste and degree of the salmon. Any ideas on what kind of sauce I could make?

I don't have a recipe, but I had raw salmon in a cilantro sauce last night was was awesome.

A home-made mayonnaise sauce - which you can spice up by adding various herbs - is great with grilled salmon.

Or Hollandaise.

A honey, soy sauce, sesame seed and lime juice sauce is good, too.

Last edited:
Soy Poached Salmon

2 15oz. bottles low sodium soy sauce
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 T. fresh ginger minced
small handful whole star anise (I put in a dash of anise spice instead)
2 lbs salmon fillet cut into 4 pieces
chive stems or scallions

In a 12" saute pan with lid combine soy, sugar, ginger and anise. Bring to boil and reduce heat to low simmer.

When at a gentle simmer add the salmon skin side down (liquid should almost cover fillet). Slosh liquid over filles and cover. Poach for 608 minutes. Fillets should be medium rare in center. Remove and keep warm.

Bring liquid to boil and reduce sauce to half (like a light syrupy consistency) Spoon over top of fillet and garnish with chives.

Try smothering the salmon in lemon grass pesto, bake and top with hollandaise sauce. Fabulous!!!

Ishbel said:
A home-made mayonnaise sauce - which you can spice up by adding various herbs - is great with grilled salmon.

That's like what I do, Ish, except I use Miracle Whip Lite. I season it with dill weed, lemon juice, Worchestershire, and horseradish. It's excellent with salmon. It also makes a good dip or salad dressing.

Constance said:
That's like what I do, Ish, except I use Miracle Whip Lite. I season it with dill weed, lemon juice, Worchestershire, and horseradish. It's excellent with salmon. It also makes a good dip or salad dressing.

That sounds like my sort of mayonnaise! We don't get Miracle Whip here (or I don't think we do, I've never seen it on supermarket shelves). I do cheat sometimes and use Hellman's ready made mayonnaise.

Ish, I've never tried to make or eaten real mayonnaise. I'm sure it's delicious. Would you post a recipe for me?

I do love Miracle Whip Lite, better than Hellman's, actually.
I guess I'm a Kraft kind of person sometimes.

momerlyn said:
I marinate it in any italian salad dressing, and it is a hit every time! Grill or broil or bake - ya can't go wrong.

That's a good idea...we'll try that for a change, next time. We do our chicken that way.
We like to pan-sear our salmon, though. You should give it a try some time. It's right up there with grilled.

Salmon is beautiful with sweet chilli sauce, even the ones straight from the bottle. Lay the fish on a bed of vertically sliced green onions and drizzle a bit of warmed sweet chilli sauce over it. A dash or soy or lemon grass is optional.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom