Somebody lied! Stainless Cookware Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
All these years I've been hearing how hard it is to cook on stainless cookware and how hard it is to clean.

I got an all clad 4qt sauteuse for christmas and it has been an absolute dream to cook on. I have not cooked everything on it yet but I've tried quite a few recipes.

Just about everything I've cooked has come out a ton better than it did on my old non-stick pans. Egg based recipes still stick though. I have not tried burgers or bacon yet.

Clean up has been SO, SO easy. Even the stuck on eggs come off with just a little bit of water while the pan is still hot.

I'm so upset that I waited this long to find out how great stainless pans are.

I wholeheartedly agree!:chef:

BUT ....

There will come a time when you get a troublesome spot or stain. But Barkeeper's Friend can get nearly any of them out and shine them up nicely.

Mr_Dove said:
All these years I've been hearing how hard it is to cook on stainless cookware and how hard it is to clean.
The people who say that just have not been on DC to ask their questions :)

Glad you are having such success with your SS. It is great stuff!

I have some barkeeps friend too. its not always needed but it does make a difference when needed.

I received some SS pans too - scared to death with cleanup. I agree with jennyema - barkeepers friend works great. Sometimes I need to make a paste and let it sit for a minute or two - but I'm anal. I have also used the Mr. Clean sponge with the Barkeeper's Friend, together clean up is pretty easy.

Mr_Dove said:
Clean up has been SO, SO easy. Even the stuck on eggs come off with just a little bit of water while the pan is still hot.

Sounds like you've learned the secret to easy SS cleanup - deglaze the pan while it is still hot!

Ditto everyone else on the Barkeepers Friend and a green scrubby.

BF has been around since the 1800s for a good reason! SS clad pans cook and clean well. THe reports of SS being hard to cook with and clean were thin stainless with lots of hot spots. A good pan of any metal is a good pan and a joy to use.

My stainless steel pans are nice and shiny inside and out, except for the outside BOTTOM. Stains that don't bother me, but will Barkeepers Friends clean the bottom too? Just thought I'd ask!

I have had good luck with barkeepers friend - even on the bottom of my pans. Alot of my pans hang on a rack, so it annoys me (I'm anal, I admit it!) when I see stains on them - sometimes I see burner marks - I usually make a paste of bf and a little water, wipe it on the bottom in a circle - following the outline of the pan, let it sit for a bit, then rinse. I've been happy so far.

There's no Barkeeper's Friend available here. How can I remove stains from my SS pressure cooker? For this particular stain, vinegar doesn't work... What's in BF? Can I make a home-made version? Thanks!

Chopstix said:
There's no Barkeeper's Friend available here. How can I remove stains from my SS pressure cooker? For this particular stain, vinegar doesn't work... What's in BF? Can I make a home-made version? Thanks!
I don't use Barkeepers Friend every time. Maybe someone will give you a more scientific answer but, after reading your post, I remembered that I put a pot up, a few minutes ago, with some discoloration. I sprinkled some baking soda in the pot and wiped with a wet rag and the stain disappeared. I won't stop using Barkeepers Friend but I might not use it as often.
There is a warning on the can that say says "Caution: Contains oxalic acid. ..."
The baking soda is the oposite of an acid so maybe another reader will be able to elaborate.

Last edited:
Gossie said:
Barkeepers Friend - Powder or Liquid?

I've no idea... but my problem has just been fixed!

I rubbed the stained area with half a lime and baking soda and like a miracle the stain disappeared!

Thanks Skillet and Gossie for trying to help!!!:chef:

Chopstix said:

A relatively weak bleach solution works wonders (bleach, hot water, and some dishwashing liquid). Removes tea and coffee discoloring from stainless steel flatware beautifully. Fill the pressure cooker with the solution and dump other little S.S. bits you have around in as well. Leave it all for 5 minutes, wash, rinse and admire!

Back
Top Bottom