TNT: Winter Comfort Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
I like to serve this with a drizzle more of cream on the top and plenty of hearty bread for dipping.

Winter Comfort Soup

4 cups of vegetable stock

2-3 carrots peeled and sliced into circles (thickness of your choice)

2 Gala apples peeled, cored and sliced

1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed

1 yam, peeled and cubed

4 tbsp of butter or margarine

¾ cup cream (either single or double)

¼ nutmeg or ginger (optional)

½ tsp salt (optional)

Freshly milled pepper

Directions

In a large, heavy bottomed pot combine the stock butternut squash, yam and the nutmeg (if using). Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium and add in the carrots and apple. Continue cooking for about 20 minutes, stirring often.

Next, take the pot off the stove and pour the soup base through a colander, into a large bowl or another large pot, but do not discard either part. Then puree the vegetables with a handheld mixer or in the food processor.

Reintroduce the vegetables into the broth over medium heat; add in the cream, butter and salt and pepper (if using). Stir often and bring to a rapid simmer, reduce heat and cook for another 5-10 minutes depending on the consistency that you prefer. Serve warm. Leftovers can be stored, covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Serves 3-4 as a starter or light lunch

~Enjoy~

pdswife said:
THANKS!

It sounds wonderful!!!!!!
You're very welcome :) It is good, I hope you and Paul like it. I should mention that you can also throw some onion or chives in there but I like to focus on the sweetness of the apple and squash flavours, which can be easily drowned out by too much onion.

pdswife said:
Is it very sweet? Should I serve it for dinner or dessert?
I serve it for dinner (lol, which is just to myself as Tony loathes all soup - such a nut - :mrgreen:), it's not as sweet as maple glazed squash, if that gives you an indication. Just a nice, subtle sweetness, and it works wonders before a main course of pork chops.

Tony doesn't like any soup? I think he's the first person that I've ever heard say that. ... amazing. Ahhh well, more for you.

pdswife said:
Tony doesn't like any soup? I think he's the first person that I've ever heard say that. ... amazing. Ahhh well, more for you.
:LOL: Yes, it blew my mind at first too, and I tried and tried to get him to sample my soups, but then just tossed in the towel. To each their own, I figure! :ROFLMAO:

(I like that point too, more for me!!)

My husband will eat soup for one or two meals, but he's never enthused when I mention fixing it. He'd rather have a big piece of MEAT on his plate.

Constance said:
My husband will eat soup for one or two meals, but he's never enthused when I mention fixing it. He'd rather have a big piece of MEAT on his plate.
Connie, its sounds like are boys are cut from the same piece of sirloin :mrgreen: I think DH would have to be stranded on a desert island before he'd bring soup to his lips. I don't get it (and it used to drive me bonkers, but we all have our quirks so I've dropped my attempts at getting him to even try a bite :-p), I love soup - could it 3 meals a day. Tastes in food and music are two of the few things that DH and I don't always have in common :rolleyes:

I made a taco soup the other day for the first time and had to substitute a couple of ingredients. It was so delicious I'm going to make it again very soon. The recipe called for ranch beans but I had none and wanted to make it right away. I used a can of vegetarian refried beans and the consistency of the soup was just right.

Constance said:

Sounds a lot like me! :cool:

Not a big soup fan, but there are a few I really like. Being originally from New England, all sorts of chowders have been consumed, my favorite being clam chowder. Also like corn chowder, of which I would like to find a recipe (haven't really looked).

Don't laugh, but Cambell's makes a Chunky Smoked Chicken/Corn Chowder that is delicious. One could dump the cans in a pot and serve it to company, and they'd never believe it wasn't homemade.
I'm sure if you tasted it, you could probably re-invent the recipe and make it really special.

I don't remember the thread, but in the discussion re: soups a few days ago, after some of the comments, I bought 2 of the Select soups. I haven't used them yet, but when the weather gets cool again, I certainly will. I enjoy everything fresh, but don't mind a few short cuts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom