How to cook flank steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I was last at my parents house, my mom made flank steak. All she did was throw it on the gril and cover it with this montreal steak seasoning and it was like the most delicious thing ever.

I have the steak, I have the seasoning, I do not have a grill. I would assume I can just use my oven, but I'm not sure what to set it at or how long to cook it. Which brings me here. I am hoping someone here can enlighten me. It's a little less than 1.5 lbs of meat and all I plan on doing is adding the seasoning to the outside.

Can someone tell me how long to cook it, at what temperature, and what oven setting to use?

Thanks in advance!

Broil it. Then if you like you can try the following recipe, takes a bit more effort, but well worth it!:

Get you a nice flank or skirt steak.... this is not a time for finding the leanest cut... try to find a steak that is well and evenly marbled, this will make a big difference in taste and tenderness.

1/4 cup fresh lime juice - yes... get some limes and squeeze!
3 tblsp of peanut oil - substitute veggie oil if no peanut oil.
1 tblsp of finely chopped jalapeno - seeds to taste, I leave em in.
1 tblsp minced garlic
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp crushed coriander seeds
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp of salt or to taste
Pat steak dry with paper towels.
I pour all the ingredients above (except steak) into a large baggie and squish it around until it is mixed. Place steak into the baggie and massage so that the ingredients are evenly distributed and cover the steak. Put in frig. Each time you visit the frig for your favorite beverage or snack, give the steak a good massage. I like to let mine marinate at least a day, 2 is better!
This is best cooked outdoors on a grill over coals.... I am a coal girl and prefer that to gas grilling. Or this can be broiled as well. Remove steak from frig while preparing coals (or gas) grill / preheating broiler. Remove meat from marinade and carefully pat dry.... I pat lightly, don't want to knock off any of those tasty chunks of garlic, jalapeno and coriander seeds! Place meat on grill/broiler and cook no more than 4 minutes on first side. You want a nice sear and when the steak is turned over, should be nicely browned (even slightly blackened in some places). Turn and cook 3 to 4 minutes more. I like my steak rare to medium. Better to under cook than over cook. If it is to rare for you, you can always pop it in the microwave and nuke it for about 30 secs.
IMPORTANT: Use tongs to turn steak... no forks! Don't want to poke holes and lose all that flavor that you worked so hard to instill! When the meat is removed from the heat, place on cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. YES, resist the temptation to cut into it before it can rest.

Flank steak is best on the grill, but if you must do it inside, I would sear it off in a VERY hot pan. That way you will get a nice crusty outside like you would on the grill. Flank steak needs to be cooked rare or it will taste like shoe leather. It has relitivly no fat so please dont overcook it. 5 min per side. Hope this helps. When you cut it, slice it against the grain.

Yeah I would agree with sattie that you should broil it. Also make sure when you slice it that you slice against the grain and as thin as you can, otherwise the meat will be very tough.

Thanks guys. When I seer it do it for 5 minutes each side? Or when it's cooking?

Also, when I'm broiling it, what temperature do I set it to and for how long (or is that the 5 minutes per side).

Oh, and if I seer it, do I apply my seasoning before or after seering?

Thanks!

Broil actually is the temp. On your oven there should just be a setting for broil. It is hard to say how long, but 5 minutes per side is probably a good guess. Put the seasonings on first. Actually what I would do is even put them on the night before.

Flank is a tough piece of meat so you might want to marinade it for 24 hours before you cook it and then of course, cut it against the grain. If you need marinading recipes, I'll be glad to post them here or PM them to you.

Sattie, my dear Texas neighbor....

sattie said:
Broil it. Then if you like you can try the following recipe, takes a bit more effort, but well worth it!:

Get you a nice flank or skirt steak.... this is not a time for finding the leanest cut... try to find a steak that is well and evenly marbled, this will make a big difference in taste and tenderness.
YES, resist the temptation to cut into it before it can rest........"

Do you actually serve this like you would, say, a rib eye? I mean, I've never heard of a skirt steak as the entre. Most are served in Tex-Mex venues and especially fajitas. Believe me, I'm gonna grill it and follow your recipe to the letter, but I will probably have flour tortillas, and an aray of Tex-Mex goodies with it. Thanx for the recipe.

Thanks guys. It was really great. My girlfriend loved it, and she doesn't even like steak normally.

My one regret was not marinading it, I just cooked it with the spices on. The outside tasted great, but the insides weren't very flavorful.

I am pleased with the spices I used, though. Can I just create a simple marinade out of them somehow? I guess I'd need a liquid base of sorts, or can I just rub the spices on, throw it in a bag, and let it sit in the fridge for a day?

Thanks again!

Yeah if you rub the spices on and let it sit overnight then they should really penetrate. You don't need to be gentle either. Give the meat a good massage with the spices. 24 hours is a good amount of time to let them get deep into the meat.

Amen GB / Phil

I literally beat the steak as it is marinating. It is such an awesome recipe and I always make extra. The more you work the marinade and massage the meat, the better it gets. Your harwork will show in this recipe.

Phil, as for an entree, yes it works great. I usually make a zesty batch of spanish rice or some jalapeno pinto beans to go with it. The extra or leftovers is great for later.... sliced up on a ceasar salad or just by itself. This is one of my favorite recipes and is usually on the menu at least once a month.

CyberSlag

Glad things worked out for you.... sound like my kinda guy! :chef: One that can cook! I do all the cooking in my house, so I don't know what it is like to come home to a home cooked meal unless it is out of a box!! :huh:

Phil said:
sattie said:
...Do you actually serve this like you would, say, a rib eye? I mean, I've never heard of a skirt steak as the entre. ...

Phil:

Flank steak does well as an entree. It doesn't have to be an ingredient in a Mexican dish.

BTW, flank and skirt steaks are different but similar cuts. Skirt steak is more suitable for things like fajitas.

Thanks

Andy M. said:
Phil said:
Phil:

Flank steak does well as an entree. It doesn't have to be an ingredient in a Mexican dish.

BTW, flank and skirt steaks are different but similar cuts. Skirt steak is more suitable for things like fajitas.
Good to know. I know that many restaurants that serve beef fajitas are usually tough, and I didn't catch the flank and skirt differances. Seems that some of the cooking shows have said flank or skirt, but don't really go into detail. I'm gettin' smarter, I hope.

You are baiting me...

sattie said:
I literally beat the steak as it is marinating. It is such an awesome recipe and I always make extra. The more you work the marinade and massage the meat, the better it gets. Your harwork will show in this recipe.

Phil, as for an entree, yes it works great. I usually make a zesty batch of spanish rice or some jalapeno pinto beans to go with it. The extra or leftovers is great for later.... sliced up on a ceasar salad or just by itself. This is one of my favorite recipes and is usually on the menu at least once a month.
I only live 30 miles from you. You might see me at your door. All I have to do is follow my nose:mrgreen:

While flank and skirt are different, they can be substituted in a lot of recipes. Not all the time, but sometimes.

Phil said:
I only live 30 miles from you. You might see me at your door. All I have to do is follow my nose:mrgreen:

Come on over! :chef: I am sure we can whip up all kinds of good food!!!

Dina said:
Flank is a tough piece of meat so you might want to marinade it for 24 hours before you cook it and then of course, cut it against the grain. If you need marinading recipes, I'll be glad to post them here or PM them to you.

Here here, Dina. I agree. It can be one tough piece of meat. Wanted to make a braciole, but think it will just turn out tough and a long cooking time with the filling. I do watch for the sales, and bury it in onion/mushroom soup dry mix and smothered with onions and serve with mashed taters & veggies. I have put it in a slow cooker, and added lots of garlic, but it will shrink up. Be sure to trim the fat and you might want to sear it first. Oh yeah, it's also sold under the name of London Broil.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom