Goodweed's Pancakes Revisited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have a freind who said she might be joining our group and asked that I post my pancake recipe for her. So here it is.

Bob Flowers' World's Best Pancakes (yeah, I know, it's not a very humble title. But then, I'm just an ordinary guy who enjoys a big head now and again.:mrgreen:)

Now kids, this recipe comes in 2 parts, dry, and wet. They are far easier to make consistantly when you mix the dry ingredients together seperately, then add the milk, egg, and oil, in that order. Further instructions will be given after the ingredient list.

Dry Ingredients:
1 cup AP Flour
2 tbs. Sugar or Splenda Sweetener
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 1/2 tsp. Double Acting Baking Powder (like Clabber Girl or Calumet brands)

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 plus 2 tbs. Milk
1 large Egg
3 tbs. Cooking Oil (I use sunflower as it is the healthiest of the inexpensive seed-based oils and is absolutely neutral in flavor. It also has a high smoking temperature.).

Preheat skillet, heavy pan, or electric skillet to the point where water droplets skittle about when dripped onto the hot cooking surface.

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix together with a wire balloon whisk. Add the milk, egg, and oil. Mix with the whisk until all ingredients come together. It's ok, even prefferable if there are small lumps. They will disappear while cooking.

Use three dripping, overflowing tbs. of batter per pancake. Quickly put the batter onto the cooking surface. Make as many pancakes on the griddle as you can safely turn over without flopping them onto each other. I can get 8 on my electric griddle, 4 on my single burner stove top griddle. Cook until bubbles form on top. But flip as they begin to pop, and before they remain open. Cook for an additional 40 seconds or so. Then plate and serve hot with your favorite topping.

If you are feeling adventurous, mix in a tsp. or 2 of vanilla into the batter with the wet ingredients. or add M&M chocolate candies and some peanuts to the batter. My dad used to add whole kernal corn to his every now and again. I've also added diced apple.

Be playful with them. You will find that a Mickey Mouse head, with ears is suprizingly easy to make. I used to make some cool shapes for my kids when they were young. Lips are always a favorite, as are most face parts. I've even cooked them in the shape of numbers representing an age when it was for a birthday breakfast.

Now if you really want to be adventurous, you will find that you can tripple this recipe, add cocoa, vanilla, almond extract, or some other flavoring, substitute mleted butter for the cooking oil, and come up with a pretty decent cake. It is after all, just another quickbread relying on the leavening action of baking powder.

Anyway, enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom