In-N-Out Burger Sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanwingen

Cook
I live in Michigan, and I have never had the opportunity to taste an In-N-Out burger with it's highly rated secret burger sauce. I guess these restaurants are only on the West coast. Does anyone know what this burger sauce is made from (the recipe?) Is it very simular to a Big Mac Sauce? I know whats thats made of, and I can make some of it and see just what this awesome sauce is supposed to taste like?

THANKS!

It's pretty much thousand island. Hmmm....didn't know it was supposed to be secret tho'.
The reason the burgers are so amazing is that In N Out doesn't have freezers. Everything is fresh, and the burgers are nice and big. The fries are made from *gasp* real potatoes! And, they only have a few things on the menu. Their shakes are made with real ice cream and whole milk too.
Ahhhhhhhhhh!

It appears that In-N-Out only operates in CA, NV, and AZ. And, aside from their "secret sauce", it's like jkath said - it's the quality and freshness of their ingredients that make them so special, "... we use only the freshest ingredients, delivered to our stores every day. Never frozen. And no burger hits the grill until you ask for it."

You might try contacting them via their website and see if you can buy some of their sauce - then taste and test - and play "reverse engineering" food chemist. It seems a LOT of "Thousand Island" based burger sauces were born on the West coast.

The sauce recipes I would love to get my hands on are from "The Pig Stand" (the first drive-in in America) and Goff's Hamburgers (also another Dallas, TX creation).

Last edited:
Here's some interesting reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-N-Out_Burger

They refer to a spread similar to Thousand Island. They do have a secret menu that is listed in the link above.

Don't know if this is the actual sauce used. Might be a clone of Kraft's Thousand Island.

http://www.topsecretrecipes.com/recipedetail.asp?sessionid=&login=yes&id=62&agree=yes

If you're in the areas Michael mentioned. Try ordering a 100 x 100

20060125050438458_21.jpg

The receipt 100x100 $97.66 - 1 Dbl/Dbl, 98 Extra patties

Last edited:
Would love to have that kind of fast food place here in the great north. Only have the garbage kind here now. Haven't had a good buger in 30 years from a fast food joint.

vanwingen said:
I live in Michigan, and I have never had the opportunity to taste an In-N-Out burger with it's highly rated secret burger sauce. I guess these restaurants are only on the West coast. Does anyone know what this burger sauce is made from (the recipe?) Is it very simular to a Big Mac Sauce? I know whats thats made of, and I can make some of it and see just what this awesome sauce is supposed to taste like?

THANKS!

Halo Burger is pretty close to In and Out - I've had them both.

John

Wow, Mish - thanks for going to the trouble to look that up! I really doubt that it is the same as the one I'm referring to - but it certainly sounds good enough to give it a try.

The Pig Stand sauce I was referring to is from the chain of drive-ins called "The Pig Stand" that first opened in Dallas, TX in 1921 (the world's frist Drive-In - carhops, eat in your car, etc.) and their sauce was more of a condiment sauce - a little thinner than a cooking sauce.

Maybe I should follow my own advice and call them up in San Antonio and see if I can buy a jug? :pig:

we have Jake's burgers here on the Del MD PA border. fresh made to order grilled burgers as you like em with the fixin's you want. quite a pleasure and worth the time, the drive, and the price, (and yes even the calories!)

that 100x100 looks like more than I could comfortably manage...but I'll help!

vanwingen said:
I live in Michigan ... Is it very simular to a Big Mac Sauce? I know whats thats made of, and I can make some of it and see just what this awesome sauce is supposed to taste like? ...

As I'm sure you've figured out, McD's Big Mac sauce is their own Thousand Island dressing (I think it's Kraft but I'm not 100%). If you ever get a hankering for some on just a burger, you can buy their salad dressing packets ($.25 I think) and squeeze it on. My brother in law's family owns several so he gave us the scoop as a way to impress us when he and my sis were first dating. Very cute of him :LOL: .

Not many fast food joints in our neck of the woods use "secret sauce" either (McD's is the only one I can think of). When we were in Oregon, the Wendy's would put sauce on their double stackers but they don't here - odd.

Steak'n Shake has good fresh burgers...I've watched the cooks press the balls of meat out into patties on the grill. You can really taste the difference...they taste like meat instead of cardboard. It's also one of the few places I can get relish on my hamburger.
They also have real hand-dipped milkshakes.

I'm glad to get a little bit of info and some pics. I post at another forum, totally cooking unrelated but they do have a "food" subforum. Many of the locals were bragging on the In-N-Out Burger, but I'd never heard of em.

Wish we had one, I'm all about some burgers.

Actually Big Mac sauce is not close to 1000 Island, it just looks like it.
Its a combo of french dressing, mayo, salt, sugar, vinegar, onion, and sweet relish, etc. Heres the recipe:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons French dressing
4 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon finely minced white onions
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt

If you compare the 2 like I did, Big Mac sauce is much sweeter.

Back
Top Bottom