Cooking with an Iron Wok

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haggis

Sous Chef
Bought myself a nice large iron round-bottomed wok for all of AU$10 a while ago to replace my old wafer thin steel one.

Finally got round to preparing it on the weekend (getting all the machine oil off it and seasoning with 2 coats of oil) watching this gun-metal coloured wok turn into something looking (at least on the cooking surface) black and scarred without even having been used.

Gave it the first run tonight. Wow. I will never use a steel (stainless or not) or non-stick wok ever again. Barely anything actually caught on it let alone got seriously stuck on it. Always found stir-frying to be a fun experience but having the right tools to do it just makes it that much more enjoyable.

The best thing is? This new wok will never see the inside of a sink let alone the sight of a soapy sponge. Just dish your meal up, throw some water in it while its still hot, get any residue ingredients out, toss the water and place it back on the heat. Any residue fat from cooking just burns off adding to the wok's seasoning. Perfect!

Now all I have to do is buy one of the bamboo brushes to make cleaning even easier and a new big arse, add-to-the-greenhouse-effect wok burners as the one on my stove, while very decent, just isn't hot enough!

My carbon steel wok works the same. No eal scrubbing. Serve the food, water in the hot wok to clean (deglaze) and dry on the burner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom