Wallpaper Woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Well, we discuss just 'bout everything, so...

I bought 3 rolls of prepasted wallpaper to do a wall in one room, from ebay. The problem is, it's just not sticking to the wall. I wallpapered years ago, but never had this problem. So far I've gone thru one roll. Wouldn't complain but, it cost $30 a roll, ($99 for all three), and I like the pattern. I may have to buy another roll, or return two - if the seller will allow it. What am I doing wrong?

I emailed the seller, posing the question, but no response. :rolleyes:

Here's a pic.

This is sort of the wall 'look' I'm trying to achieve (sans the fouton).

P.S. Does anyone know what the writing on the paper means/says? TIA

Last edited:
This is a pic of another pattern I planned on using in a different room on one wall - different manufacturer. It has a satin-like finish/look. I'm already exhausted from one room. Should I call in a pro? Thanks again.

Did you prep the wall before you started? If so, how? What was on the wall before you tried to wallpaper? Was it paint - if so, what kind of paint? Was there paper there? What kind of condition is the wall in?

The wall is in good shape, pretty smooth, and the paint is off-white flat - water-based. The instructions did mention resizing (using a resizer?), but I've never done it in the past. Not sure how to apply/do resizing. Maybe that's the problem?

I redid it twice, got two sheets to stick, next morning it was buckling/pulling away from the wall at the top and some spots. Tried wetting the paper, at first with less water, then with more water. Dragging an 8' wet paper from the bathtub, running into another room, standing on a chair with towels and sponges is getting old - fast. When I pulled the paper off, it left reddish/rust color stains on the wall. Probably from the dye? in the paper? Man am I tired.

Edited to add: I was going to paint the room again.

Last edited:
I'd guess the paste on the wallpaper is defective. Buy some wallpaper paste and paste the paper and hang it.

Andy M. said:
I'd guess the paste on the wallpaper is defective. Buy some wallpaper paste and paste the paper and hang it.

Thanks, Andy. Thought the same thing. I've wallpapered over semi-gloss years ago in an old kitchen, with layers of paint, didn't prep the walls, and never had this problem. Feel so disappointed. :(

Last edited:
Dh said the same as Andy. Buy some wallpaper adhesive. Home Depot has some called Vinyl to Vinyl. This is what he has always used. It's not expensive at all. If it's too thick and won't roll well with a clean paint roller, add just enough warm water to make it roll easy. He said those prepasted papers never work good. He hates that they say prepasted because, you have to end up using the paste anyway to make it stick good. Once you use it though, it will be really tough to get it off.

texasgirl said:
Dh said the same as Andy. Buy some wallpaper adhesive. Home Depot has some called Vinyl to Vinyl. This is what he has always used. It's not expensive at all. If it's too thick and won't roll well with a clean paint roller, add just enough warm water to make it roll easy. He said those prepasted papers never work good. He hates that they say prepasted because, you have to end up using the paste anyway to make it stick good. Once you use it though, it will be really tough to get it off.

Thank you, thank you Texas. I so appreciate the info. Will copy and paste (no pun intended) your hubby's advice. Thank him for me. Good info to know. Sent the seller another email, explaining I've already lost $30. I was planning on going to Home Depot for paint this week. I did love the pattern, though.

Your very welcome!! Before you spend more on paint though. Try the adhesive if you can get it as cheap as we can. It really would be worth it, I think. If you like the pattern that much. It's pretty wallpaper for the asian look you are wanting to achieve. To do the texturing paint, it gets expensive, believe me. We did colorwash faux in our living room and you have to get 3 shades of paint and the glaze. Others you also have to buy the rollers,sponges or scrapers to do them

Mish, is there high humidity in that room? I have used the adhesive before and it worked. I'm sorry for your woes.:( I hope you have someone helping you with this project!

Okay, here's the response from the seller:

"Hi, Michelle. I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner. We have had a discussion about this because this is the second pattern that we've sold from this book that has had a problem with the paste in the past couple of weeks. This is a current wallpaper pattern that we have direct shipped from the wallpaper company's warehouse and it is definitely not old. We know for a fact that they have just recently gotten new stock of this wallpaper from the company that does their manufacturing. We are starting to think that they may have gotten some bad batches of wallpaper. They do guarantee their product so I'm thinking we can get a refund on this. Their suggested retail on this wallpaper is $63.98 per double roll so it's not cheap wallpaper. It comes from Brewster Wallcoverings and they are a very reputable company and they stand behind their product. If you can wait until we can get in touch with them tomorrow, we can let you know what we find out so we know how to proceed. If they do have a problem with the paste on all of their batch of this paper, if you still want to use the paper that you have, we can send you $10.00 to purchase some wallpaper paste and then refund the rest to you when we receive the full refund from them. I'm just not sure until we speak to them what the situation will be so if you can wait until tomorrow to hear back from us, I would really appreciate it. I am really very sorry about this, but you can rest assured that we will take care of this. I will be in touch tomorrow.

Thank You,"

texasgirl said:
Your very welcome!! Before you spend more on paint though. Try the adhesive if you can get it as cheap as we can. It really would be worth it, I think. If you like the pattern that much. It's pretty wallpaper for the asian look you are wanting to achieve. To do the texturing paint, it gets expensive, believe me. We did colorwash faux in our living room and you have to get 3 shades of paint and the glaze. Others you also have to buy the rollers,sponges or scrapers to do them

Those textured glazed wall treatments are very pretty Texas, but I wouldn't attempt that myself. I need to repaint the walls in off-white anyway. That's not a job I'm looking forward to. Your LR sounds beautiful. :)

Michelemarie said:
Mish, is there high humidity in that room? I have used the adhesive before and it worked. I'm sorry for your woes.:( I hope you have someone helping you with this project!

Thank you Michele. It's usually bone dry out here in So California -- although we had some rain this weekend. I've done it myself before, but it was a lot easier when I was in my 20s. I'm still undecided. It's a lot to tackle - paint and paper. I'll see what the seller says tomorrow. Appreciate all the input, too.

Sushi, you little rascal :LOL: You're probably right.

I think your lucky to have gotten that response. That sounds very reasonable to me. As for the wallpaper. How many pieces did you put up, just the one? If they are willing to pay for your adhesive, I would do it.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Well that sounds fair too me. Well sort of. It would be nice if the company sent you new rolls because its their mistake.

That's a good suggestion, Sushi - because I went thru an entire roll and that's $30 down the drain. Who knows if the other two rolls I bought will work. None of it stuck! Thank you.

I strongly recommed calling them direct. Heres the number:
Brewster Wallcovering Co

space.gif
space.gif

67 Pacella Park Dr
Randolph, MA zip code
Phone: (781) 963-4800

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
I strongly recommed calling them direct. Heres the number:
Brewster Wallcovering Co

space.gif
space.gif

67 Pacella Park Dr
Randolph, MA zip code
Phone: (781) 963-4800

Awww, thank you Sushi. That was so kind of you. I'll make a note. I found them on the web too. Nice merchandise. Let's see if the seller comes thru, so she isn't out $ too.

I was thinking about UNPASTED grasscloth to cover two etageres, but think I already bit off more than I can chew...for now. A little overwhelmed. Like a bad comedy routine. I'd put it up - then watch it fall down.

Back
Top Bottom