Macadamia Fudge Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I made this last week for my husband's birthday. It was a great hit. It's a recipe I tore out of a Goodhousekeeping Magazine in 1984. The page is yellow with age, but the cake is still delicious. Hope some of you try it.

For the cake:

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter softened
1/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. instant coffee granules
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg

1. Preheat oven to 350 deg. grease 9-inch round cake pan; line bottom of pan with waxed paper and grease paper.
2. With mixer at low speed, beat all ingredients until well blended. Scrape bowl as you go.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 30 mins. or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 mins.Remove cake from pan , discard paper and cool completely on wire rack.
4. When the cake is cool, prepare topping. Place cake on plate; quickly pour topping evenly over the top of the cake, allowing topping to run down sides. refrigerate cake until the topping is firm, at least 1 hour.

Macadamia Fudge Topping

In 2 qt. saucepan, over med. high heat, heat 1 cup heavy cream, 1/2 cup sugar,2 tbsp. butter, 1 tbsp corn syrup and 4 squares of semisweet chocolate to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove sauce pan from heat and stir lin 1 tsp. vanilla extract. Cool mixture about 10 mins. Stir in one 7 oz. jar macadamia nuts which you have toasted ahead of time.

You can also leave out the nuts and just cover the top of the cake with them, after you have poured the topping on.

I got topping all over the edge of my cake plate because I forgot the waxed paper trick, but was able to clean it off once the topping had set.
Enjoy
Lyndalou

Hoo-boy, that sounds great! Mocha is one of my all-time favorite flavors!

This is probably a dumb question, but since I rarely make cakes, I'll ask. If I wanted to make this into a two-layer cake, or make it in a tube pan, would I double this recipe?

Lee

Yes, Lee, you would need to double it. No questions are considered "dumb" on this forum.
I hope you try the cake.

Lyndalou

For the tube pan, yes, you would probably have to double it, but for a two layer cake, you can also try splitting the one cake with a sharp knife and some unwaxed, unflavored dental floss. If it's a thick cake, you should get two decent size layers. :)

What a wunderful recipe...

I love Macadamias .... and so I ´ll try your Fudge Cake recipe. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :kiss:
So thank´s for your recipe. I hope that I get all ingredients here in Germany:wacko:

greetings from Germany

TANJA

Back
Top Bottom