Grilled Fruit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimbaby

Executive Chef
I read this article about grilled fruit... I was wondering about this topic, it said pineapples/pears grilled along with chicken...
so it got my wheels a turning LOL...what else kinda fruit could we grill?
(this may or may not be the place for this thread)

apples are good grilled just right with cinnamon and sugar. You have to be careful with them though, they will burn easy with the sugar or they will fall apart.

peaches are great grilled with a little honey as are figs with proscuitto and blue cheese.

You can grill almost any type of fruit, some will be easier (due to their firm structure, like apples) others (like bananas) will need some care.

Lemons, oranges and grapefruit all grill well. Their insides go jammy and slightly caramelised. Mangoes are another fruit that grills well, then you can dice it and make a mango salsa. You can also do the same for avocados as well and create a slightly smoky flavoured avocado salsa (or guacamole) that goes great when paired with a sweet or smoky paprika.

The only fruit I have grilled is pineapple, and added brown sugar to carmelize. They were fantastic!

when jersey or georgia peaches are in season, i love to grill them with some brown sugar or honey.
freestones are the best since the pit comes out easily, so you can slice them in half, pull out he pit, double skewer them a couple at a time all facing the same way. i like to spray the open side with a little cooking spray, grill them with that side down jut to get marks, then turn them over. sprinkle brown sugar or honey on the open-grill marked side, and close the lid to let them warm thru and the sugars melt, and they get a little smokey.

pineapple is my second favourite fruit to grill, interleaved with chunks of teryaki marinated fish and sweet onions.

pear halves are also good to grill, and when almost done, sprinkle the tops with a little crumbled gorgonzola and chopped walnuts, drizzle with evoo, again - close the grill and let the cheese melt and smoke.

i'll have to try apples this year since my grill is right under my apple tree. in august and september you have to watch out for falling apples when using the grill. i've gotten plunked on my melon so many times that even worn a hard hat and a petzl head lamp at night when trying to grill.

Figs, oh my gosh are the gorgeous on the grill, with a little honey and basil or some fresh mozza melted over. Peaches, apricots, pears, plums (if they are very firm), bananas and apples are some of my other favourites too :)

hey, i have a bunch of ripe plantains, i wonder how they will grill? gonna try 'em tonight.

and thanks for the reminder piccolina, grilled figs and honey are fantastic.

Grilled melon like canteloupe and honeydew are also good grilled, but the flavor might not be for everyone since grilling it will change the taste to a degree.

buckytom said:
hey, i have a bunch of ripe plantains, i wonder how they will grill? gonna try 'em tonight.

I was just going to mention this! Grilled plantains are wonderful..

One of my favourite summer desserts is grilled fruit kebabs. Thread pineapple, strawberries, banana, peaches, and plums on skewers. Drizzle with lemon juice and grill. Serve with a vanilla honey yogurt for dipping.

I also like sliced pineapple marinated in a bit of teriyaki sauce and grilled. It's good served on veggie burgers, portabello "steaks" or just eaten as is!

this isn't exactly "grilled" but it is delicious!
When I was a kid we used to slit open a banana, stick a couple marshmallows and some chocolate chips in the center, then wrap it all in foil and stick that out on the grill or, better yet, in a campfire.

corazon90 said:
this isn't exactly "grilled" but it is delicious!
When I was a kid we used to slit open a banana, stick a couple marshmallows and some chocolate chips in the center, then wrap it all in foil and stick that out on the grill or, better yet, in a campfire.
TNT banana boats, so yummy! Awww the Girl Guide memories that these bring back :)

thanks for the reminder piccolina, grilled figs and honey are fantastic.
You are welcome Bucky :) They were the first fruit that sprung to my mind when I read Kim's initial post.

I'm gonna piss off some but grilling fruit is absurd. Just eat it. Grilling vegetables is also kind of lame unless they are on a kabob stick with lamb. That's my 2¢ worth

gg

glazzguy said:
I'm gonna piss off some but grilling fruit is absurd. Just eat it. Grilling vegetables is also kind of lame unless they are on a kabob stick with lamb. That's my 2¢ worth

gg

Oooooh, gg, we can agree to disagree, right? :)

glazzguy said:

gg

grilling canned fruit is really good, have you ever tried it, glazz?

same goes for grilled canned corn. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom