Trying to Help : Coronet Mold

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltyknees

Assistant Cook
Hi, I am new here. :)
I am trying to locate (for an ambitious friend who has discovered the joys of cooking) a "coronet mold". He wants to replicate a recipe which comes from The French Laundry.
Why? I don't know. More money than time, I suppose. :-p
Any way, if anyone out there knows where I can locate this, please contact me. It would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

I am not sure what a coronet mold is. Is the recipe in his cookbook? I havce it and could possibly see if the book gives guidance.

Could it possibly be an English jelly-mould - I think Americans call it jello? I've got copper ones, china ones and even a couple of plastic ones in the shapes of bunnies and teddies! I've made lots of different things in the moulds, not just fruit jellies!

From what I understand, he makes these ice-cream cone shaped pastries which are then filled with things, I dunno what, but if you have the book, they're supposed to be one of the specialities of the House.

Yeah I remember those from this book which is not a cookbook but a book about being a chef. About 1/3 of the book is about TK and French Laundry.

I'll go look at the cookbook.

Last edited:
Ok, I have the answer.

It's the first recipe in the cookbook. "Coronets" Salmon Tartare with Sweet Red Oinion Creme Fraiche.

You make the coronets with a batter that cooks then is wrapped around a #35 Coronet Mold. The book refers you to the CIA (888-424-2433); JB Prince Co (800-473-0577); Sur La Table (800-243-9852) and Wms Sonoma (800-541-1262) as sources for it.

Edited to add that it also requires a 4 inch hollow circular stencil and a silpat. The instructions for this recipoe are, how shall we say, just a bit complicated.

Like you said, it lends up looking like a little ice cream cone.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom