Prawns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yum... are those pictures of dishes you made? They look fantastic!

Could you post the recipe for the sauces? (thai basil chili and coconut saffron)

Yeah. I usually run specials when I'm covering certain restaurants so that's what they are pictures of.

For the coconut saffron sauce, use this recipe with the following changes:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f76/basic-beurre-blanc-12698.html
  • Sub the Lemon Juice with Kaffir Lime Juice
  • Use 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk and 1 cup heavy cream
  • Start with 1/4 tsp. Saffron threads, then adjust for color and flavor. Substitute tumeric if saffron is not available or too expensive
For the Thai Basil and Thai Chili Oil:

In a food processor or blender, combine 1 cup grapeseed or canola oil with 1 cup loosely packed Thai basil leaves and 1 Green Thai chili, seeds and veins removed, 1 tsp. kosher salt and 1 tsp. granulated sugar. Pulse until everything is chopped, then let sit overnight in the refrigerator. Strain through 2 layers of cheesecloth plus a chinois.

Last edited:
Thanks so much ironchef! I will try these. I have a tin of saffron and dont get a chance to use it very often. I dont want it to go to waste because it was expensive, so this should be good...

What else would the sauce go nicely with?

It would go well with scallops, poached lobster, most types of mild, flaky fish. I don't know how well it would work with tuna or salmon. It would go better with something like halibut, sea bass, monkfish, wahoo, etc. It's more of a sauce for seafood although it would probably work with chicken breast too.

I made the coconut/saffron sauce tonight and used it on tilapia fillets... it was so good. I had it with a bit of greens tossed in a light vinegrette and rice - what a nice Sunday supper! I still have a lot of sauce leftover though.. how long will it keep in the fridge? I'll try to use it over the next couple of days.

Thanks again for the recipes...

grumblebee said:
I made the coconut/saffron sauce tonight and used it on tilapia fillets... it was so good. I had it with a bit of greens tossed in a light vinegrette and rice - what a nice Sunday supper! I still have a lot of sauce leftover though.. how long will it keep in the fridge? I'll try to use it over the next couple of days.

Thanks again for the recipes...

I should've told you that you could've halved the recipe...especially if you're only cooking for a few people. However, because the beurre blanc was not a traditional one (which is usually just butter and white wine + vinegar reduced au sec) it will keep for a couple of days. When you reheat it though, don't bring it to a boil. But I am glad that it turned out and that you enjoyed it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom