Question about dill sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
I am making salmon tonight and want to make a dill/butter sauce, but have never made it. Is it simply just dill and butter melted together? I was not sure if I should put this question in here, or the fish forum, or the sauces forum.

amber, just chop the dill, about a tsp of dill per coupla tbsps of unmelted butter, and just mix together with a fork or whisk.
i like to add a little basil as well.

i put little chunks of the dill/basil butter on top of the salmon, skin side down, and put it under the broiler. when it is done, ad put just a little more to melt on the hot fish.

it's not a sauce per se, but it's really good and the salmon stays moist, and gets a nice browning/crust from the butter.

hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for your speedy reply Buckytom. I will do as you suggest. :chef:

Dill and sour cream, cream cheese, or even yogurt make a good condiment for salmon. Again, it isn't a sauce per se. Cream some dill (quite a bit) into any of the above (I actually like to combine yogurt or sour cream with cream cheese) (bring the dairy to room temp first). Salt to taste. Then, when your salmon comes hot out of whatever preparation you're making, put a dab of it on each filet/steak. The heat of the fish will melt it a bit. Sort of like herbed butter on a steak. Gee, I haven't done this in years.

For the sauteed versions, a few capers added to the dill sauce adds some ooomph, and a little dry vermouth is great as well.

The replies above are all good, here is an alternative...

Make a mixture of half mayonaise, half sour cream, and a lot of dried dill weed. When you add the dill, add about 2 times the amount you think you need. More is better. Here is a secret hint... I often add a dash of Raspberry Vinegar to this... just a dash will do it.

This makes a great "tartar" sauce for salmon (which is not always all that good with tartar sauce) this is the exception!

Back
Top Bottom