Breaky Food.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tancowgirl2000

Head Chef
When we were kids my mother used to make a mush breakfast..I say this cause I have no idea what to call it...here's the basics of it

Torn up bread, milk, cinnamon.....this would be cooked on the stove and served to us! It was so good! I tried making it once but it was just awful my way....

Has anyone ever heard of this before or something simular?

Maybe it needs to be homemade bread. We use to have the same stuff but with Cornbread.

What about sugar? Did she add any sugar? Gosh, every time we had an upset stomach we ate milk toast. It was pretty good!

Yea.... how about cream...... sugar, cinnamon and a LITTLE bit of butter? Dash of nutmeg perhaps? Ohhh.... and a dash of vannila extract. Possibly honey instead of sugar?

When I was a kid we ate cornbread with sugar and milk, but we ate it cold. We didn't have cinnamon on it, but it would have been good.

:) Barbara

This is what a member from CCA said about this......I just cant wait to have it now.....no bread :cry:

Milk toast:
2 slices of darkly toasted bread (buttered to taste)
1/2 cup (or to taste) of scalded milk

Extras:
cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar taste (extra butter if you like)

Place toast in cereal bowl cover with milk and dress it up with the extras.

My Grandmother used to make this for my sister and I when we were young.

I thought of it as a comfort food.

We used to have hot chocolate and dip buttered toast in that also. You brought back many memories with your post, thanks Nancy

Thanks exactly what I was describing in my post tancowgirl. We didn't have anything sweet in ours, only salt and pepper. It was pure comfort!!!!

Ya gotta try this :!:

2 loaves of bread
1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavor
1/4 cup of butter
2 cups of sugar
1 large box of raisins
3 eggs

Instructions:

Soak bread.
Drain excess water from bread, put in medium mixing bowl.
Mix vanilla and eggs in mixing bowl.
Add your sugar and raisins into bowl, mix well.
Melt butter, add to mixture, stir well.
Place the mixture in a 13"x9" pan, greased.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Your pudding should be golden brown.
Let cool 1 hour before serving.

Me droolin :LOL:

Breaky food........

With an addition of an egg it might be French toast? There's always bread pudding for using up old bread.

Reminds me of one of my comfort breakfasts as a kid. A whole bowl of Nilla wafers, then 1/2 and 1/2 poured on top and allowed to soak into the cookies to make them mushy. Then sliced fruit (peaches, bananas, berries) on top with a bit of cinnamon/sugar. Warmed for ~20-30 secs. in the microwave - YUM!

When I was a kid my grandma called it milk toast - just milk and crumbled up toast, no salt, pepper, butter or cinnamon.

Back
Top Bottom