Soda poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Please select the statement that applies most closely.

• I do not drink sodas and am not overweight (or less than 5 pounds over)

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • I do not drink sodas and am between 5-20 pounds overweight.

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I do not drink sodas and am over 20 pounds overweight.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I drink 1 or more cans daily and am not overweight (or less than 5 pounds over)

• I drink 1 or more cans daily and am between 5-20 pounds overweight.

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • I drink 1 or more cans daily and am over 20 pounds overweight.

• I drink 1 or fewer cans each week and am not overweight (or less than 5 pounds over)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I drink 1 or fewer cans each week and am 5-20 pounds overweight.

• I drink 1 or fewer cans each week and am over 20 pounds overweight.

• Total voters

The Z

Head Chef
I'm curious about the apparent link betweensoft drink consumption and weight. Multiple responses to the poll are allowed, so you can indicate your own and other family members' categories (unless, of course, they fit in the same category as you - - I don't know how to get around that one).

I'm only looking at carbonated soft drinks with sugar added.

Last edited:
I am not sure how to answer the poll. I will go through phases with soda. Right now I am not drinking any. I had one soda two days ago, but other than that I have not had any in probably 3 or 4 weeks. I will come to a point though (if history is any indication) where I will drink a can a day for a while, usually only a week or so at a time.

For me, I go through phases as well. The past few days I've had a soda every day, on average though probably one a week. Either way, I'm not overweight.
My husband knew this guy a few years ago that drank a couple diet cokes every day and he was very overweight. He decided to stop drinking them and ended up loosing a lot of weight. He didn't change his eating habits or exercise more, just stopped drinking his diet cokes. He isn't overweight anymore.

I drink very little pop. I just don't like it enough. If I open a can, I always share it with Paul and it's always diet.

I don't fit into any of the poll categories so here's a new one.

I drink fewer than 5 soft drinks a week and I'm still overweight. It's the food, baby! (...and the wine)

I will drink one a day during the week, my bad time is the weekend. I'll drink abour 3 then. Mine are the diet rite white grape. 0cals, 0 carbs, 0 sodium, 0 caffeine, but, it is sweetened with Splenda. And yes, I'm overweight. :-p

Here's my category:
I drink more than 1 soda per week and am not overweight.

I drink about 3-4 per week, and they are NEVER ever diet.

Good poll, Z. However, not sure I fit your categories either.

I wasn't overweight until I started this stinkin' desk job.

I rarely drink pop of any kind - diet pop is especially nasty--tastes too much of chemicals to me.

When I first started losing weight again, it helped that I stopped drinking beer.

HH drinks Tab - a supremely nasty version of diet pop - and is quite overweight. He's finally allowed some other liquids besides Tab/coffee into his rotation (water, OJ).

i'm really thin yet drink pop that isn't diet most of my day. i'd say 5 or so if not more. i get in, study & drink grown-up beverages during my nights after the pop.

Last edited:
I was never overweight when I drank soda BEFORE my pregnancy.
After is whole different story. I doubt it's related to the soda though cause I quit drinking it for awhile and gained more weight.

I probably drink about 2-3 cans a day. I've been trying to drink more and more water as of late because I ain't getting any thinner.

water, iced tea plain, v8 ... hot tea coffee no sugar ...

i save my calories for wine with the meal and an occasional micro brew out or a fine single malt.

at 50 you gotta count em all and I got none to spare on sugar and carbonated water w/ caramel colour! lol

I drink soda and have never been overweight, but I try to make up for it by eating healthy, most of the time.

I drink a couple of sodas a year. We don't store any in the house, we only buy them when we have guests or in the summer my kids like ice-cream soda, but I drink it like ones every many months.

Well, as somebody who drank at least 6 LITERS a day (it's a techie thing; and screw cans, the deposits add up too fast when you drink that much :P) for the better part of the last 10 years, I'm a pretty firm believer that there's a big correlation between soda and weight gain (I for one would never touch a diet soda, so the calories racked up).

I gave up soda on cold turkey on the first of the year after getting a rude scale awakening at a physical in December, and replaced it with cranberry juices, limeade, OJ and the like. I have not altered my eating habits in a dietary meaning one iota--if anything, I think I'm eating a little more calorically, as this winter I've eaten a lot more pasta than usual as I try to master the intricacies of Italian cooking, and as such have eaten less of my usual types of food...and I've still dropped over 30 pounds since the 1st of the year. I've still got another 30 or so to go before I get where I want/should be, but yeah...the soda has definitely proven to be a primary culprit to how I had gotten over the last couple years as my metabolism started to slow (aging) and my activity levels dropped.

OK, my category isn't there. I drink less than one per day but more than one per week. Where do I fit Z?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom