3/10 Dinner - Friday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronjohn55

Head Chef
Hi All,

Back home after spendning the day out of town, and pressed for dinner ideas. More specifically, what type of fish to have (and to make it).

What's everyone else having?

John

I am making pasta primavera with roasted veggies. I take whatever veggies I have on hand (zuchinni, squash, red pepper, red onion, asparagus, mushrooms, tomatoes, garlic, etc) and I toss the veggies with olive oil, salt and herbs de provence. Then I roast at 450 for 20 minutes. I cook the pasta and toss with veggies and some parm cheese, its easy and really good for you too!

Yummy, that pasta primavera sounds really good. Tonight I'm getting pizza.

I'm making gnocchi with a couple of different sauces-meatballs and sausage (for the heathens :)) garlic and broccoli and for my daughter just butter and grated locatelli!!

I got the below item in the oven now and it is emitting some wonderful aroma... my mouth is watering...

Stuffed Tomato bake with roasted potatoes.
Mmm, mmm, good, one of my favourite dinner item of all!!

4 large plump,ripe but firm tomatoes
2/3 cup of parboiled
rice (uncooked)
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
handful of fresh herbs (parsley, basil, thyme)
salt and pepper
4-6 medium potatoes peeled and diced
extra virgin olive oil
rosemary

slice across the top of tomatoes (kinda angle it, deeper at the centre, like the shape of a fat pencil tip reversed...), then dig out the inside (but careful not to break them) and put it in a bowl. Arrange the tomatoes on a large baking dish. Mush/chop up the inside of the
tomato in the bowl. Mix in the rice, garlic, onion, herbs, salt and pepper, then blend well. Now stuff this mixture back into the tomatoes (regretfully there will be a little extra remaining, we still haven't figured out exactly what to do with it!!) then put the top of the tomatoes back to seal them. Then in another bowl mix the diced potatoes with the oil, salt and rosemary, let the seasoning well coated around each pieces of potatoes. Pour this potato mixture around the tomatoes in the baking dish, cover with the foil and bake it at 180C/350F for 45 min. Then take off the foil and continue to bake for another 20-30minutes until tomatoes are well cooked and potatoes are lightly brown.
Serve it hot or cold.

Don't know what we'll be having. Tonight was supposed to be our southern night but dh doesn't eat much when he's sick and I can't seem to taste anything while I'm sick. I'd hate to go to all the trouble and not know what it tastes like. I'm not bailing on southern completely though, I'm making a peach blackberry cobbler and we'll have the fried chicken next Sunday, when we're all better.

We'll probably have something spicy to clear our sinuses.

Well, we settled on pan seared mahi mahi that's currently marinating in teriyaki, lemon juice, garlic butter, and honey.

Probably have a rice pilaf and ?? with it. Guess we should figure out that scond side dish pretty quick, huh? :-p

John

mudbug said:
If it's not too much trouble, how 'bout some nice grilled pineapple or some mandarin oranges. And put some Buffett on.

I actually wanted a splash of pineapple juice for the marinade, but I don't have any! (No oranges or fruit either, we have to go shopping this weekend, we're almost out of food!)

I do have a buffet CD though. As soon as Brian Wilson (got Blue Hawaii ging right now) is done, I may que that up.

(Speaking of blue hawaii, where's that Elvis CD????????)

John

Tonight's menu:

Prime rib with a creole/chili rub (on the rotisserie right now)
Key lime-red pepper shellfish ceviche w/ fried tortillas
Yellow pepper risotto w/ grilled shrimp and a black olive vinaigrette
Fig-blackberry shortcake with maple whipped cream

My hubby gets off work early tonight (well.. midnight is early in our case) so I'm making us some red beans & potato curry over rice.

Back
Top Bottom