Problem with microwave odor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Hi everyone! Well I've gone and done it. I nucked the popcorn tooooo long. Didn't even notice the bags my hubby bought were smaller and just pushed the buttons and next thing I know I have smoke billowing out of my microwave. The odor is beyond description. Anyway, I put a container of baking soda in there but its not helping. Anyone have any ideas on how to completely remove the odor without throwing the thing out in the yard :LOL: .

SizzlininIN said:
Hi everyone! Well I've gone and done it. I nucked the popcorn tooooo long. Didn't even notice the bags my hubby bought were smaller and just pushed the buttons and next thing I know I have smoke billowing out of my microwave. The odor is beyond description. Anyway, I put a container of baking soda in there but its not helping. Anyone have any ideas on how to completely remove the odor without throwing the thing out in the yard :LOL: .

never tried this but Heloise hints says to do this:

Put a paper plate on the bottom of the microwave to contain spills, then pour 1 1/2 cups water into a large, microwave-safe bowl; add half a chopped lemon, pulp and rind, and four or five whole cloves. Put into microwave and bring to a boil; let stand for 10 to 15 minutes, then remove and leave the door open for several hours or overnight to further air out the oven.

Not sure if this will work, but try taking a lemon or two. Cut then in half and give a good squeeze into a blow of water. Throw the lemon half into the water too. Nuke that for a few minutes then wipe out the microwave.

I have also heard that newspaper absorbs odor. If the lemon doesnt work then fill the microwave up with crumpled up newspaper and let it sit in there overnight or as long as you can.

I've used a bowl of water with baking soda and lemon juice (the real stuff, not the plastic lemon) with success. Like others said heat it till boiling and then let it sit. Then keep the microwave door open for awhile. Don't be surprised that the next couple times you use the microwave you'll still catch a whiff of it but it'll fade fast and be nothing like it is now!

I did the same thing with popcorn I put a dish of white vingear in it and turn microwave on for 1 min and then just let the vinegar sit in there for about hour and it was all gone.

Failing that, there is a product called Deodorock out there (I think at the You've Seen It On TV stores) that saved my butt when I burned a bunch of garlic in my microwave. Good luck to you.

Well I was going to head to the store for lemons but saw letscooks suggestion. I have vinegar so I'm going to give that a shot. If it doesn't work then I'll be heading to the store for lemons. Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what ends up working for me.

Hee hee I don't know what it is about Microwaves and Odors but goodness, once you cook something like Bacon in it, or burn something, it's there for days after.

Usually I just leave the door standing open for a couple of days until it airs out or use the lemon. I've never tried the baking soda but the lemon really does work but it seems to replace an unplesant odor with a plesant one.

~ Raven ~

Back
Top Bottom