Give me a idea for butternut squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I want to use it as a side, not sweet. I don't have a lot of stuff in the pantry/cupboard and I don't have time to go get stuff. DH normally only likes fried squash, but, I don't know if this can be done with butternut.

One more obstacle{sp}, it has to be able to cook at 350, or, be okay cooked and then sit until my other dish is done, about 30 minutes.

Last edited:
Recpe originally by Racheal Ray...I made this for Thanksgiving last year, and it was a pretty big hit. It's a good soup (and if using fresh butternut squash...ya just have to puree I believe 16 ounces worth). Personally, the only large (i.e. larger than zucchini or yellow) squash I like eating whole is acorn squash. Things like butternut I prefer mashed up or strung or the like.

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 carrots, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup pulpy orange juice
2 boxes frozen butternut squash puree
2 or 3 cups chicken broth
Salt and pepper
Grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves, for garnish
1 tablespoon orange zest, for garnish

Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. When butter has melted, add the onion and carrots and cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Deglaze with the orange juice and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Transfer the mixture to a food processor or a blender. Puree the mixture until smooth, then return to pot over medium heat. To mixture, add the frozen butternut squash puree and the chicken broth and stir to combine. Adjust the seasoning. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Grate some fresh nutmeg and stir to combine.
Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with chopped thyme and orange zest.

Last edited:
This sounds good, Poppin! Now, I just have to run it by DH. He doesn't like a lot of soups. If not, I may have to save one of my squash and puree it and make this tomorrow. Thanks!!

This sounds odd, but butternut squash makes really nice "squash fries." They are healthy and tasty.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Peel and de-seed a butternut squash and then cut it into thick french fry sticks. Place them on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray, sprinkle with kosher salt and bake for 40 minutes or so, flipping them over halfway through cooking. Watch them close to the end - you want them to be browned and crispy on the edges, but not burnt!

Texasgirl, butternut squash is delish on it's own, needing very little to enhance it's natural flavor.

I just slice it in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds, salt and pepper the flesh, then turn it cut-side down on a oiled, foiled cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for an hour or until very tender. Serve cut side up, and mash the flesh in the skin. Add butter and more salt and pepper to taste.

SO good!

Lee

i like it plain too. I roast it whole on a cookie sheet @ 400F until it's soft. then I scoop it into a bowl, add butter, salt and pepper and mash or puree it. Delicious!

Sometimes I also add some roasted garlic and/or brown sugar.

every time I think of butternut squash, I just think of making a pie.. LOL

its sooo good if you follow your recipe for pumpkin pie.. but just use the squash instead. Yummy! :chef:

Actually I just baked one the other day.. cut it in half, scooped out the seeds and stringy stuff.. placed it in 2 inches of water skin side up.. baked for about 40 minutes till soft.. then I turned it over, dumped the water out.. put in tablespoon or more of brown sugar.. and a tablespoon of butter in each half, then baked it for another 10 minutes.. sooo delicious :)

I do it the same as Debbie, but since you dont want it sweet, the above recipes sound great to me.

You can roast it as a side dish:

Cut in 1/2 inch thick strips, glaze with pesto, tomyum paste, chilli paste, garlic paste, ginger paste or whatever you have in your cupboard.
Roast in a hot oven for about 20/30 minutes until soft.

Back
Top Bottom