Hello everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thejackies

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I've been a fanatic for baking all of my life. Right now, I'm finally taking the plunge that people have been asking me to do for a long time now, and I'm going to do a couple of solo catering events for friends of just baked goodies. I'd love any advice you all have to give me on getting into the catering business. I just spoke to a woman in town who's happy to let me use the kitchen of her little coffee shop for pennies, or maybe just a trade in product. How would a product trade work? I suppose it'd depend on how much I'd need to use her kitchen as to whether that product would be a freebie or would she sell it for me and keep a larger portion of the profits. So many details to consider, and not just what should I bake! Having thought of doing this sort of thing for so many years, and now that it might actually be happening, I'm just about to freak out!:)

Thanks for your help,
Mary

WOW Good luck on your venture- I wish you tons of success!!!!I amire your gumption to grab this passion and make it work!!!

Holy cow! How exciting for you!! Don't let it overwhealm you. You have had fun baking all this time, keep the fun in it or you will drive yourself mad. As for the trade, talk to her and see what she is looking at for trade. If you want to keep doing this, this is a perfect reference for you. Let word of mouth help you advertise. You can put ads in papers, get your business cards made.
Good luck!! I hope you have a wonderful experience!!

BTW, Welcome to DC. Can't wait to find out what you made. Take pictures too and keep in a binder to show future customers/clients.

Hi, Mary and welcome to DC!

How exciting for you - starting a business doing what you love. Best of luck to you.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,
Thank you for all your kind words of encouragement. The learning curve here is huge, but I'm hoping that I'll do okay with a lot of help and guidance. One of the cooks I work with has done lots of catering and was helping with pricing out the cookies and chocolates I'm making for my friend's studio opening, and now I'm feeling like the pricing is fair. He also had advice for the lady with the kitchen and how to charge her for treats. I think I may have to work a little at keeping things from getting boring for me (like if I found myself making the same treats a million times over), but right now I'm just enjoying the process and I'll cross that bridge if and when I come to it. I still have to give my friend my price quote, and I hope she also thinks it's fair!:)

Back
Top Bottom