Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Special Events Planning & Holiday Cooking (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/)
-   -   Ham with Whiskey Sauce (https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f115/ham-with-whiskey-sauce-20221.html)

Claire 03-12-2006 02:48 PM

Ham with Whiskey Sauce

This is getting kind of embarrassing. A friend asked me to contribute my famous ham with whiskey sauce for an upcoming brunch. I swear, I have never made such a thing, and she insists I did. Hubby and I are puzzling, but hubby and friend both said, "well, you can do it Claire".

I'm thinking I'll order a spiral cut ham, then take whiskey, sugar, honey, or marmalade, a little clove.

Anyone have any ideas on a whiskey sauce to go with ham? I don't want it TOO sweet. It is one thing to be known and loved for the great food you make, but quite another to be known and l loved for something you've never made. I think this is funny. And she will get a ham with whiskey sauce. Which I'm sure won't be as good as the last time I made it (hahahaha!)

auntdot 03-12-2006 03:22 PM

Claire, just Googled and there are a ton of recipes on the web. The base is whiskey, sugar, and butter and many add other ingredients.

I am not a fan of booze in food, nothing against alcohol, just don't like the taste in food.

Will cook with wine, and make a mushroom dish with Scotch whisky and cream sherry that I love, but in general pour the hard stuff down the gullet and not into the pan.

Good luck, I'm sure you will make a great sauce.

ironchef 03-12-2006 04:09 PM

The ham you can't really practice on since it's such a big piece of meat, but I would definitely practice making the whiskey sauce at least a few times. After all your good name depends on it now. I don't really use whiskey a lot but Jack Daniels is one of the more popular choices that I always see in recipes and on menus so maybe that would be a good choice to start with.

Claire 03-13-2006 05:09 AM

We have a friend visiting who loves Jim Beam, so that is likely to be the whiskey. I'm a big believer in using what I have, so maybe orange marmalade as the sugar. I'm just cracked up because I'm supposedly great at making this and have never made it before!!! I'll call my local grocer and order a spiral-cut-ham if I can.

Claire 04-10-2006 05:54 AM

Thought I'd let you know that the ham turned out perfect. "Just like last time." We've tried to convince her it wasn't me who made it last time!!! I cheated ... the ham came with a glaze mix, and I just added a pinch more clove, zested an orange, and used Jim Beam instead of water. It was a big hit. She still insists I made it a few years ago. If it wasn't for hubby backing me up, I'd wonder if too much of the Jim Beam was in me and I can't remember correctly! If I were to do it again from scratch, I'd consider using Southern Comfort.