East or West of the Rockies, Hellmans or Best Foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
I just searched out Hellman's to see if a thread had been talked about regarding the two, Hellman's and Best Foods Mayonnaise.
I am from California and always thought Best Foods was wonderful and in fact, it is.
I bought a jar of Hellman's on the east coast and it's almost gone now. In my frig is Miracle Whip, Best Foods, Hellman's, and Kraft Mayonnaise. By far, the Hellman's is the best and it's very different in consistency from it's so called sister or is it brother, Best Foods.
Do you have a preference or have you tasted both of them? If so, which do you like best?

My vote is Hellman's (now...) I have put all to the test spreading on bread to see if there looks to be a difference, there does. Hellman's almost appears to be sort of whipped in texture much like the yogurt "Whips" that I like so much. Kraft (who knew) tastes a bit flat. Best Foods is very good but I have to agree with Bucky, it's slightly saltier than Hellman's which to me, is a bit sweeter. Just a bit, but tasting it, side by side, there is a difference.

Last edited:
Mr. callie is the mayo connisseur (sp?) in our house...and he's a Hellman's guy. When that isn't available, we get Best Foods. Usually I can find both brands in the market. Neither of us cares for Kraft.

supposedly Hellmans, Best Foods, and Mrs. Schlorers are "all the same" recipe, packaging label (except name) company etc. But there are regional differences I'm sure. Used to Hellman's so it's what I buy.

hellman's and best foods are owned by the unilever corp.. so are skippy peanut butter, mazola oil, knorr soups and condiments, and arnold's and thomas' btread products.

an old college girlfriend used to work for the corp hq in englewood cliffs, nj, when it was owned by cpc international. i remember her saying that most the products sold west of the mighty miss are slightly spicier or saltier, and the ones east were sweeter, the result of market testing. so while they amay be very similar, the product recipes are just slightly different depending on where you are.

I'm a Hellmann's kinda guy. If not available (rare, but has happened) I go with Kraft. The only other time I get Kraft if budget is an issue, as Kraft is normally less expensive then Hellmann's.

Miracle Whip and drugs, just say no!

Mrs. Big Dog is a Miracle Whip fan, so my icebox normally has MW & H, and maybe K.

Like Hellmans, heck grew up with the stuff, now we often buy Duke's.

But have only seen that in the South.

Hellman's here.

That is very interesting - I always thought Hellman's & Best Foods were exactly the same.

Ya learn something new every day...

You Miracle Whip sandwich lovers: try it on bread with chips - that's all. Just smoosh the 2 pieces of bread together to crush the chips a little & enjoy! Doesn't get much better than that, does it? :chef:

MOST of the time I use Miracle Whip. It's the only jarred "mayo" I can stomach.

In those rare instances where I just *have* to have actual mayonnaise for a certain recipe in which MW won't work...I make my own mayo.

Ick... I really cannot stand Miracle Whip and have never understood how anyone could stomach that.

As for what mayonnaise I like best, I really like japanese mayonnaise, like Kewpie. It tastes slightly different from "Western" mayo and is made with rice vinegar instead of distilled. Second to that though, I'd have to agree with those who said Hellman's.

LEFSElover said:
I do too Constance. I used to think a sandwich of just that was fabulous!:cool:

My kids loved a Miracle Whip sandwich when they were little. Sometimes they wanted a slice of American cheese on it.
I like the tangy taste of Miracle Whip. I actually buy the lite version, not only because it has fewer calories, but it doesn't give us heartburn.

Anyone ever try Vegenaise (sp.?)? It's a mayo-type spread made with grapeseed oil. A vegan friend gave me a jar, and I avoided trying it for quite a while. I generally don't like foods masquerading as other foods. To my surprise, I liked it better than Hellman's. Go figure.

Miracle Whip *shudder*

Mr HB loves it and hates mayo. I'm just the opposite. I can't eat anything with MW in it...:sick:

I make separate potatos salads etc because I don't want either one of us to be unhappy. It just takes a second longer.

Dukes is the best mayo but I do believe you can only buy it in the south.

Back
Top Bottom