Salt Grinders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigDog

Head Chef
On the topic of grinders, (as in pepper grinders, not the sandwich), is there a difference in the grinder, or mill I guess would be the better term, for salt? I recently purchased and have finished one of thos McCormick Sea Salt mills that can't be refilled (same concept as Phantom's pepper mill from McCormick). Personally, I can taste the difference in sea salt versus standard table salt. Of course, table salt would me used mainly for recipes unless other salt is recommended. I use the pepper mill for both recipe and table.

I would think the mill is irrelevant, and should be able to mill either pepper or salt. Does that make sense?

I don't have a salt mill. Personally, I use kosher salt that I keep in a covered dish on my stove. I love the feel of the grains between my fingers when I sprinkle it on my food.....I couldn't give that up. I still use the Morton's table salt when it comes to baking though.

Salt grinders are more of a novelty than anything. pepper mills have a purpose. By grinding the pepper corn you release the volitable oils at the correct time giving you the most bang for your buck.

Salt does not have any oils to release. It is a mineral that is salt all the way through. The only thing that grinding salt does is change the shape and size of the crystals. You can by salt in just about any shape/size you want though so I find salt grinders to be a waste.

salt grinders are useful if you find yourself using a corse crystal sea salt. You can buy one kind and grind some for fine use. A salt grinder is different because salt is corosive to metal. Many are ceramic or very fine SS parts.

As with using a variety of pepper types, having a variety of salts is also a real part of fine cooking. there are tastable differences.

agreed gb, salt is nothin' but a rock that we eat. it doesn't have to be ground for any reason of flavor, except there are slight differences in types of salt.

i have a matching set of 6" peugot grinders, one of which is for large rock sea salt, mostly as a novelty for the matching set, but it does have a purpose.
i can set it fine for adding salt to food just as i'm about to eat it, or large for helping to mash garlic.

I disagree to a point. Salt is flavored by its shape, and its other mineral content. Table salt is uniform in size and shape and often iodized. It has a distinctly chemical and sharp taste. Kosher salt is flaked, and not iodized and tastes much milder. Grey salt, Hawaiin Red or Pink, Utah brown, etcetc, all have slight different characteristics from the other mineral contents. SOme seem milder, some seem fresher, brighter. None seem as sharp as table salt.

The tongue has receptors just for saltiness, (one reason you can't eat just one Lay's Potato Chip), and I do find that different salts have real unique characteristics.

Robo I agree with you that shape contributes to the percieved taste of salt. I also agree that iodized salt has a chemical flavor.

I know a lot of people say that different salts like grey, Hawaiin Red, Pink etc. Have subtle flavor differences as well. I have never tried those salts myself. I have tried Fluer De Sal though and when tasting the salt by itself without anything else I think I may possibly maybe might have noticed the slightest difference in taste as compared to any other non iodized salt I have ever tasted. When it is put in food though, those seriously subtle flavors are lost, at least to my palate. What I do like about that salt though is the size and shape of the crystals. It gives a nice salt crunch to foods when sprinkled on as a finishing salt.

Now that is just my perception. I am sure there are plenty of people out there who can tell the difference at 50 paces. i know of chefs who agree with my perceptions, but I am sure there are a lot more chefs out there who would tell us we have inferior palates if we can't taste the difference, and perhaps they are correct.

I think there can be a perceived difference in taste. For instance if you put a pinch of pickling salt on your tongue it will disolve right away and coat your tongue giving you a burst of saltiness. Now if you put a courser salt on your tongue it will take a lot more time for it to disolve giving the impression of it being less salty.

ok, so shape affects volume and dissolution rates, which thereby affects flavor. thanks gb and robo.

so then you wouldn't want to grind certain salts, or it would change the characteristics that you paid for.

the right tool/salt for the right job i'd guess.

Last edited:
Boy, this erupted into far more then I ever thought it would! :ohmy:

I just want something to grind sea salt crystals, as I have found I enjoy the flavor of the sea salt when ground fresh onto my serving of whatever. It wouldn't be used in cooking, that's what the Morton's stuff is for.

I guess it is all personal preference for seasoning with salt. :chef:

no prob bigdog. it's a good topic, and i've learned something from it. i love it when a little subject here grows into something really interesting because of all of the interesting people and opinions on this site.

from what we've discussed then, get a ceramic or good ss grinder and coarse sea salt, and grind away.
by grinding the salt just before eating, you are creating a sort of finishing sea salt, which dissolves quickly thereby imparting it's immediate flavor.

Like you said BigDog, it is all personal preference. there is no right or wrong, just what is right to you.

As the others said, go with ceramic or ss. The other option is to buy the least expensive grinder you can find and just replace it when it rusts.

Or buy fine grain sea salt, if the type you like comes that way. The grinding process doesn't do anything for the flavor, like it does pepper.

But some salts only come in large crystals.

jennyema said:
Or buy fine grain sea salt, if the type you like comes that way. The grinding process doesn't do anything for the flavor, like it does pepper.

But some salts only come in large crystals.

Hmmmmmmmm . . . . . . something to look for. I've not seen sea salt in fine grain form, only in pebble type form needing grinding.

Me thinks I have a solution. I'm going to buy a good pepper mill (see that topic) and use the clear plastic grinder I have the pepper in now for salt. It was a cheap mill from Target Beautique, and has held more than its own for some time with pepper. I'll throw the salt in that and if it fades to failure, get another cheapo.

I use kosher salt on most of my dishes. I don't know why, but there is a distinct difference in the flavor. I use sea salt for very specific dishes in which the grain of the salt has to be really fine. Again, it makes a big difference. Table salt I honestly don't use all that much anymore. And I never use pickling salt.

On the topic of grinders though...I like keeping my sea salt in a grinder just because it's easier to keep than in a plastic baggie, but the other types of salt are either in the box or in a lidded bowl.

Coffee grinder=Salt grinder

I just use my coffee grinder. I take what ever salt I want and put it in there for a while, then it comes out a fine powder.I usually make a rather large batch and place it into containers that way I don't have to do it very often. Or you could use the Salt/Pepper grinders to, which ever you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom